Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Red Meat causes CVD, Cancer, premature death and environmental probs
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

A large long term study found a dose-effect relationship between red meat consumption and premature death. Processed beef (cold cuts, etc) were much worse.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/green-living-red-meat-consider-your-health-and-the-environments-as-well.html

Best regards, EngineerGuy

heretk responded:
Did you miss their other result, namely substitution with "fish, poultry, nuts, legumes, low-fat dairy, and whole grains" resulted in 7-19% lower mortality? How well does that mesh with your vegan beliefs?

Quote from the abstract :

...the pooled hazard ratio (HR) (95% CI) of total mortality for a 1-serving-per-day increase was 1.13 (1.07-1.20) for unprocessed red meat and 1.20 (1.15-1.24) for processed red meat. The corresponding HRs (95% CIs) were 1.18 (1.13-1.23) and 1.21 (1.13-1.31) for CVD mortality and 1.10 (1.06-1.14) and 1.16 (1.09-1.23) for cancer mortality. We estimated that substitutions of 1 serving per day of other foods (including fish, poultry, nuts, legumes, low-fat dairy, and whole grains) for 1 serving per day of red meat were associated with a 7% to 19% lower mortality risk.

Please notice how marginal are those results, 13% relative increase is very small indeed. More solid are the results dealing with processed red meat (worse but no surprise here).

1) http://barrygroves.blogspot.ca/2012/03/study-finds-red-meat-may-not-be-edible.html

2) Red Meat in China Study , the "Grand Prix" achievement of Dr. T.C Campbell (*)

Page 117, adult mortality ALL CAUSES AGE 35-69, correlation coefficient (minus sign means less disease, less mortality). Some quotes:

- 30 D052 FISH

- 29 D048 EGGS

- 29 D005 %FATKCAL

- 27 D049 MEAT

- 25 D050 REDMEAT

-24 D034 ANIMPROT

30 D009 %CARBKCAL

31 Q158 dWHEAT

31 D028 PLNTFOOD

--------------------

*) "..The 'Grand Prix'...the most comprehensive large study ever undertaken of the relationship between diet and the risk of developing disease....tantalizing findings" The New York Times

(sorry couldn't resists)

DoloresTeresa replied to heretk's response:
Unfortunately, although about a hundred years ago I studied math through differential equations, I never had even one course in statistics. At one point I opened my daughter's statistics text and think I fell asleep at about page two. Maybe I should try it again.

Having said that, looking at your numbers and remembering the saying that there are three kinds of lies---lies, damn lies, and statistics--I would have to ask, how did the plant eaters die? Getting run over by dump trucks, caught in avalanches, plane crashes?

Damn. You know stuff I don't know. Now I am going to have to take some courses in statistics. And I can barely stay awake through re runs of Gilligan's Island. I am getting too old for this.

Dolores

DoloresTeresa replied to heretk's response:
Does anyone have links to the original studies which show that when I eat spinach I am walking into the valley of death? Also a clue to the horrible effects of pasta which no decent Italian family would eschew?

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.