Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The 15 Theses
heretk posted:
http://rdfeinman.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/dietary-carbohydrate-restriction-in-the-management-of-diabetes-the-15-theses/

DoloresTeresa responded:
Wow! Loved this. Bookmarked it and plan to go over every thesis. More later.

The other Richard Feinman should visit diabetes support groups and see whether or not low carbers are on meds and/or insulin. He should read Atkins second book. He should read how Gary Taubes misquoted and misrepresented some of the scientists whose studies he used and who said they were sorry they even talked to him (and who do not get the publicity Taubes has been getting.)

Dolores

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I saw interviews with some of those scientists and they were not at all happy with being misquoted and used by Taubes.That hits at his credibility but then some of McDougalls actions also hit at his credibility though not to the same extent.

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
Taubes addressed that years ago, with at least one large article. I remember reading both sources: Taubes and some of his "disenchanted" interviewes. From what I remember, the whole thing seemed to have been blown totally out of proportions. The supposedly "misquoted" passages were the plausible interpretation of what the other person has said, and Taubes even offered to publish their emails to corroborate that. In my personal opinion, the whole affair looked like an orchestrated attempt at character assassination against Taubes. The mud-slinging was supposed to undermine his credibility in the media.

The tell-tale sign that were dealing with an insincere character attacks against Taubes, was that none of the attacker wanted to addressed the meritum of the supposedly misquoted passages. None of them wanted to address the biochemistry. Instead they seemed sulking, whining and bitching against Taubes. Instead they discredited themselves! An iron rule among true scientists (*) is to criticize a theory or a method, never a person!

H.

*) By a "true" scientist I mean one that uses the scientific method. BTW Taubes is a physicist.

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
An iron rule among true scientists (*) is to criticize a theory or a method, never a person!

I agree with that 100% but actions can cast doubt on credibility.McDougalls allowing of banning and insults on his message boards cast doubt on his credibility just as the accusations of scientists cast doubt on Taubes credibility.I never saw his explanation of the apparent misquoting that are claimed.

However neither of their actions makes them wrong about their dietary ideas.That must be dealt with via science not attacks on character.

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
That is true, jc, but Taubes is relying on what might be called someone's good character--his expertise on the subject of nutrition--when he misquotes him, or quotes him out of context implying that the interviewee meant something diametrically opposed to what he actually did mean. It would have been very easy for Taubes to submit the gallies regarding the scientists' comments so they could correct any misinterpretation.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
"Taubes is relying on what might be called someone's good character--his expertise on the subject of nutrition--when he misquotes him, or quotes him out of context implying that the interviewee meant something diametrically opposed to what he actually did mean"

Thats why I said his actions cast doubt on his credibility.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.