Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
More white rice, more diabetes risk
heretk posted:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diabetes-more-white-rice-more-diabetes-risk.html

jc3737 responded:
Yes,but they don't deal with some possible "loading factors".Those who eat white rice tend to be the wealthier class who also consume far more processed foods and eat a diet closer to the SAD.

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
Once a week or so I like to check in on the McDougall board and I'm glad I did.Here is something I found that deals with the issue we are discussing.It is a reply from Dr Fuhrman.I'm a bit disappointed he does not welcome disagreement but at least he does not threaten banning.....he simply asks the poster not to post such things on his site.Had he actually not allowed the post he would have severely damaged his credibility but it is to his credit he did not resort to censorship.Here is his responce.

"Fuhrman: It never ceases to amaze me how much the conventional population wants to bury their head in the sand and deny everything about nutritarian eating that can reverse and prevent disease and extend human lifespan. The commenters that find their way to this blog to "teach" their world view of nutrition and aim to contradict mine with the most convoluted arguments is a perfect example. Any study that shows high glycemic foods, meats, oils, increased eating frequency, high protein intake, some will look to find flaws in the studies to disavow any need to make dietary changes. A little knowledge goes a long way to inflict confusion. Keep in mind it is never just one study that begets my advice. Many of the commenters above illuminate the attempt people make to rationalize their dietary preferences with merely a shred of support on their side. Here they are defending that an almost empty calorie, low fiber, high glycemic, processed food, (with no significant micronutrient load) is not really a harmful actor, in spite of its link to breast cancer and diabetes in multiple studies and that it has the profile of foods that drive cancer development.

Certainly you can believe anything you want and go ahead, eat every hour, eat all the meat, cheese, oil, white rice and olive oil you want, it is your right. However, my work is not geared for the mass market; it is designed to inform people of the ideal diet-style to push the envelope of human longevity in those seeking such information (and to maximize weight loss and disease reversal). In other words, I do not water-down the recommendations to make it more widely acceptable.

This blog mostly exists to support those who understand my basic scientific principles and teachings. I appreciate the commenters who have read Eat To Live or some of my other books, so they at least have a framework to understand the basic premises of nutritarian nutrition, including micronutrient density, phytochemicals, food addiction, caloric restriction, resistant starch, metabolic efficiency, and the effect of foods on cancer-promoting hormones, such as insulin and IGF-1.

Yes, Asians are more sensitive to a high glycemic diet than those of European descent, but so are overweight Americans with metabolic syndrome, diabetic, or diabetic prone. For example in Korea, they always ate white rice, but now with more processed foods and all that white rice (40 percent of calories), they have almost double the diabetes risk at the same body weight as Americans. That does not exonerate white rice. Certainly without the processed foods and fast foods, the rice alone (with much more vegetables) would not cause as much disease, but that is still not the point, it is a weakness, not a strength in the diet.

So Beth, the article you linked was biased and faulty, please do not post those opinions here. David, regardless if ice cream or bacon is worse, that does not make white rice a healthy, longevity promoting food. The Chinese diet is not one we aim to emulate to maximize longevity, but we can learn something from those studies, in spite of their limitations. Dianne, you are on the wrong website, this is not the Halleluiah Diet. Natalie, your nutritional rationalizations are dangerous and everything in moderation is the perfect formula for cancer. I use science, logic and evidence to enable people to live considerably longer and better than our primitive ancestors and for those who choose to, to maximize their protection aga

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
Well, banning could be next. He sounds even more rabid than McDougallers.

Dolores

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
Where can I find this on Mc
Dougall? I don't recall this response.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.