Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oxymoron--diet debate support group
DoloresTeresa posted:
I always laugh at the term diet debate support group because sometimes we are hardly supporting each other in our chosen ways of eating. The terms debate and support together seem somewhat oxymoronic. However, I love this group because despite the differences of opinions, everyone is really very supportive in that no one is asked to leave, you can present your ideas or submit studies and the level of courtesy is exemplary. The same with the heart health group. I do feel much more comfortable and more free to speak here than among those groups whose opinions and ways of eating are more like my own.

Thanks guys, you are all gentlemen and scholars (including any women who happen to show up). I love you all.

dolores

heretk responded:
I also appreciate very much your participation in our discussions and your support! There is a very positive energy here!

jc3737 responded:
For me the greatest support will always be to question and debate until I become more and more sure of my position....and then to question and debate some more.

I think I must see disagreement much differently from most people.I don't see it as a negative or unfriendly thing at all,and I think most people do.

I see it as a positive and friendly exchange of ideas,and I'm always puzzled when someone takes it negatively.

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
Yes, jc, I agree. I believe that quite often on the McDougall group people come to the group to ask questions, not to disrupt or challenge for the sake of challenging but because they are honestly looking for answers. (And to Fuhrman also) The problem is that once a question has been answered by a devotee he thinks that should satisfy the questioner. When someone asks a question or has a doubt, it is the questioner who should be satisfied. One wonders how many people who might have subscribed to a particular set of ideas are turned off and go elsewhere for answers because of an attitude that implies they are disruptive for even asking. Too bad.

Dolores

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
Jc, I hope you really meant you will question and debate until you are sure you have come up with the truth--which may or may not be your position--and then to question and debate some more.

Dolores

engineerguy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi folks,

You are all super. The vitality of this forum is wonderful.

There is always a bit of faith involved in what we pick for our chosen program. We don't know our own hereditary mix, and we don't know our precise health situation. How much can we cheat? Every diet program has assumptions, which, in the opinion of the inventor, are well founded. Does this program have any problems for a person of our hereditary makeup?

In the final analysis, we can't take it with us. With faith, and a sense of humor, we go forward and upward.

Change of subject: This is national Geriatric month, or something. The American Geriatrics society (or some group) is trying to get all the elderly to .... (what? improve their diet, exercise, lifestyle, what? ) review their medications.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

DoloresTeresa replied to engineerguy's response:
I personally would like the American Geriatric group and everyone else to stop calling me elderly. Mentally I am still 19. I was reading about something the other day which said you had to be careful about (I can't remember what) when you are dealing with the elderly. They used a 68 year old woman as the example. Hey!! I'm 68. When did I become elderly?

Dolores

engineerguy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

LOL LMAO

I'm just a youngster, at 64. But mentally, I'm about 2. And it's all due to my diet.

You rock, as always.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

heretk replied to engineerguy's response:
Hi,

Following some heated debate a few years ago on the webmd, a medical student called me "a frustrated 11 year old boy without friends".

Best regards,
H.

DoloresTeresa replied to heretk's response:
H, that comment from the medical student was like and expression of affection compared to some of the language on an old diabetes website. I learned a lot of new words on that group. Which is why I usually only go on moderated groups.

Dolores
p.s. You have a lot of friends here and I think you are very very smart for an eleven year old. You are really going to be something when you grow up.

heretk replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Dolores,

Thank you for supporting your little brother.

Re: that comment from the medical student was like and expression of affection

You are probably right! It is said that a hatred is only an expression of unrecognized love...

Best regards,
Stan

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.