Skip to content

heretk responded:
I agree with him but up to a point. There seems to be a correlation with very high high carbohydrate diet and diabetes, see for example Burkitt studies in British Africa (sugar cane plantations) but I agree that the present ~10% rate in the N.America is caused not by potatoes but IMHO by a mixture of high sugar and refined wheat products consumption and transfats.

When saying that a diet high in vegetables and low in calories and low in fats may greatly reduce a risk of diabetes type 2, it may be partially true but not quite. It will not eliminate it! For example, in rural India diabetes rate was still about 3% (13% in the cities). From fat and meat? I don't think so!

I find it ironic that Novick is quoting study supporting anti-diabetes (protective) effect of meat consumption, to defend his potatoes! Quote:

From the study.

"Fish, chicken, and potatoes, when cooked in ways other than frying, loaded on factors that were not associated with increased risk of diabetes."

Note: In the context of US and Canada, "frying" means using mostly a fake baking "lard" made of of hydrogenated veg oils!

H.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.