Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
potatoes
jc3737 posted:
http://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-novick-ms-rd/potatoes-diabetes-dietary-trends-truths-about-taters/434650191818

heretk responded:
I agree with him but up to a point. There seems to be a correlation with very high high carbohydrate diet and diabetes, see for example Burkitt studies in British Africa (sugar cane plantations) but I agree that the present ~10% rate in the N.America is caused not by potatoes but IMHO by a mixture of high sugar and refined wheat products consumption and transfats.

When saying that a diet high in vegetables and low in calories and low in fats may greatly reduce a risk of diabetes type 2, it may be partially true but not quite. It will not eliminate it! For example, in rural India diabetes rate was still about 3% (13% in the cities). From fat and meat? I don't think so!

I find it ironic that Novick is quoting study supporting anti-diabetes (protective) effect of meat consumption, to defend his potatoes! Quote:

From the study.

"Fish, chicken, and potatoes, when cooked in ways other than frying, loaded on factors that were not associated with increased risk of diabetes."

Note: In the context of US and Canada, "frying" means using mostly a fake baking "lard" made of of hydrogenated veg oils!

H.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.