Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
n-6 not harmful?
jc3737 posted:
http://www.ajcn.org/content/95/5/1003.abstract?etoc

Another myth?

What do you think Heretic,EG?

jc3737 responded:
"A high n"2126 PUFA intake does not cause any signs of inflammation or oxidative stress."

This is contrary to what Dr McDougall recommends...he says n-6s are harmful. But Dr Fuhrman recommends nuts so it would appear Dr Fuhrman's recommendations are consistent with the science.

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
This is quite speculative but it appears that the ratio and the balance is the most important. Polyunsaturated fats have very different impact when consumed together with other fats (including saturated, omega-3 with omega-6 etc) as opposed to being consumed isolation.

For example, erucic acid (rape seeds of the pre-canola variety), was toxic to rats when provided alone, but harmless when consumed with 10% of butter.

On its own, omega-3 fats are more reactive and more proinflamatory than omega-6, and more atherogenic for primates when fed in the context of their normal high fruit diet.
Omega-6 should be consumed together with omega-3 and both should constitute the MINOR fraction of the total fat consumed. Typically the daily required doses of omega 3 and 6 EFA are the order of a few grams. Most of the fats consumed should be monounsaturated and saturated. So yes, Fuhrman is correct by advocating nuts which are OK as minor food, and he is wrong at the same by banning animal fats that should be the bulk of all fats!

H.

H.

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
Please read book 4 of "The Early Sessions",session 185.

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
Do you have book 4?

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
I read that session. Seth is recommending vegetarian diet "but not just quite yet". I find it amusing, like reading about St. Augustine pleading to God to make him "virtous but not just quite yet".

I think Seth was mistaken in his preference towards vegetarianism but was wise enough (and caring) not to push it too hard.

Incidentally, Rheumatoid Arthritis - a disease that Jane Roberts, one of the book author eventually died of, is according to Dr. Kwasniewski a typical low fat plant based diet disease! Kwasniewski's first successfull large scale application of his Optimal Diet was treating and curing of many of his RA patients in Ciechocinek Spa ("sanatorium") in the 1970-ties and 80-ties.

Regards,
H.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.