Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
From Jeff N.
jc3737 posted:
Unfortunately, no one knows for sure. There is an abundance of evidence showing that reducing the amount of animal food and increasing the amount of plant food in one's diet brings tremendous health benefits. This is especially true if the plant food is based on unrefined/unprocessed plant foods that are in their more natural state without all the added sodium, refined sugars, saturated fat, hydrogenated fat and/or or trans fat often found in processed plant foods. However, I do not know of any evidence supporting the assertion that making it a 100% plant-based (or vegan) diet is required in order to achieve optimal health benefits. In addition, there are other non-dietary issues to consider, such as activity/exercise levels and nicotine and alcohol use.

There are some studies, like The China Study, by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, which supports the concept that the less animal food and the more plant foods in one's diet the better. But interestingly, while some of these studies are often used to defend a vegan diet, none of the studies show that complete abstinence from animal food is best. Why? This is because in many of these studies, there were no groups in the studies that completely abstained from animal foods. Proving less is better doesn't automatically mean that none is optimal, unless, of course, there are studies to prove this assertion, also

heretk responded:
I saw that! I think he is saying what other more "titled" but fake colleagues have failed to observe. He is trying to use the scientific method. It is basically the way he put it: the truth is not what Mr. T.C. Campbell wrote in a book, but what the empirical (experiment observation) studies have found! I could never understand why did he refuse to join us "in spirit" so to speak, and abandon those potato cultists!

Heretic

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.