Skip to content
flax seed
jc3737 posted:
An open-label study on the effect of flax seed powder (Linum usitatissimum) supplementation in the management of diabetes mellitus.Mani UV , Mani I , Biswas M , Kumar SN .SourceDepartment of Foods and Nutrition, Faculty of Family and Community Sciences, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research & Training in Promoting Nutrition in Health & Development, MS University of Baroda, Fatehgunj, Vadodara, Gujarat, India.
AbstractDiabetes mellitus is characterized by hyperglycemia and associated with aberrations in the metabolism of carbohydrate, protein, and lipid that result in development of secondary complications. Extensive studies have indicated that nutritional therapy plays a pivotal role in the controlling or postponing of development of these secondary complications. Several functional foods have been shown to possess hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic properties. Flax seed (FS) is a functional food that is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants and is low in carbohydrates. In exploratory studies, FS was incorporated in recipes, which resulted in a reduction in the glycemic index of the food items. These observations prompted us to investigate the efficacy of FS supplementation in type 2 diabetics (n = 29). Subjects were assigned to the experimental (n = 18) or the control group (n = 11) on the basis of their desire to participate in the study. The experimental group's diet was supplemented daily with 10 g of FS powder for a period of 1 month. The control group received no supplementation or placebo. During the study, diet and drug intake of the subjects remained unaltered. The efficacy of supplementation with FS was evaluated through a battery of clinico-biochemical parameters. Supplementation with FS reduced fasting blood glucose by 19.7% and glycated hemoglobin by 15.6%. A favorable reduction in total cholesterol (14.3%), triglycerides (17.5%), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (21.8%), and apolipoprotein B and an increase in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (11.9%) were also noticed. These observations suggest the therapeutic potential of FS in the management of diabetes mellitus.
PMID: 22432725 [PubMed - in process> LinkOut - more resources

DoloresTeresa responded:
Sounds good. However, I have read of similar results using seed oils and although all those numbers improved, it turns out arteries are blocked even more than with sat fats. I believe this sort of experiment with seed oils was done years ago in Israel.

Dr. Bill Davis, a vegan whose talks have been video taped by the vegetarian society of Hawaii has said he used to use Flaxseed and aspirin but stopped because it caused bleeding. He likes to parachute out of airplanes and where the straps rubbed his skin, there was bleeding. Quitting the flaxseed solved the problem.

The lesson--never, ever, ever read any health advice again.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I have heard of aspirin destroying vision and causing bleeding but I have never heard of any negative data about flaxseed.Have you been taking flaxseed?I don't remember....apparently its not very good for memory.

Dr Bill Davis may have an active imagination or be very prone to suggestion.

But then you never know.

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Lifestyle counseling and supplementation with flaxseed or walnuts influence the management of metabolic syndrome. Wu H , Pan A , Yu Z , Qi Q , Lu L , Zhang G , Yu D , Zong G , Zhou Y , Chen X , Tang L , Feng Y , Zhou H , Chen X , Li H , Demark-Wahnefried W , Hu FB , Lin X . SourceKey Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China.
AbstractA healthy lifestyle may ameliorate metabolic syndrome (MetS); however, it remains unclear if incorporating nuts or seeds into lifestyle counseling (LC) has additional benefit. A 3-arm, randomized, controlled trial was conducted among 283 participants screened for MetS using the updated National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III criteria for Asian Americans. Participants were assigned to a LC on the AHA guidelines, LC flaxseed (30 g/d) (LCF), or LC walnuts (30 g/d) (LCW) group. After the 12-wk intervention, the prevalence of MetS decreased significantly in all groups: -16.9% (LC), -20.2% (LCF), and -16.0% (LCW). The reversion rate of MetS, i.e. those no longer meeting the MetS criteria at 12 wk, was not significantly different among groups (LC group, 21.1%; LCF group, 26.6%; and LCW group, 25.5%). However, the reversion rate of central obesity was higher in the LCF (19.2%; P = 0.008) and LCW (16.0%; P = 0.04) groups than in the LC group (6.3%). Most of the metabolic variables (weight, waist circumference, serum glucose, total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, apolipoprotein (Apo) B, ApoE, and blood pressure) were significantly reduced from baseline in all 3 groups. However, the severity of MetS, presented as the mean count of MetS components, was significantly reduced in the LCW group compared with the LC group among participants with confirmed MetS at baseline (P = 0.045). Our results suggest that a low-intensity lifestyle education program is effective in MetS management. Flaxseed and walnut supplementation may ameliorate central obesity. Further studies with larger sample sizes and of longer duration are needed to examine the role of these foods in the prevention and management of MetS.
PMID:

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.