Skip to content
Amazing anti-oxidant powerhouses
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

I was amazed by this myself.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-dr-fuhrmans-nutrientpacked-skinny-shake-as-seen-on-the-dr-oz-show.html

I did not realize how many benefits there were to strawberries and pomegranate.

Of course, the best course is to eat a wide variety of vegetables and fruits. But I do include pomegranates and strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, as well as apples, oranges and bananas, plus occasional others.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

engineerguy responded:
Hi Heretic,

Please take a gander at the link above.

Fruit is only 200 to 250 calories per pound. (Bananas are the exception, at 400 calories per pound.) Vegetables are much fewer calories per pound. You could consider including a lot of veggies and fruit in your diet.

engineerguy responded:
Hi Heretic,

Any thoughts?

heretk replied to engineerguy's response:
EG,

I love strawberris, I like pomegranates too but I have no idea if all those phytochemicals are indeed as beneficial as Dr. Fuhrman claimes, and if they are not counteracted by some of the phytotoxins that he may not have mentioned.

I am not sure what is the overall effect and if there is a dose-response relation. I am quite confident that there is nothing wrong in enjoying fruit but I have yet to see a study that would isolate fruit effects form other food. Are fruit really beneficial on their own or because they displaced some junky SAD?

Regards,
H.

engineerguy replied to heretk's response:
Hi Heretic,

Sorry for my slow response. Very busy at work.

But, thanks for asking about the benefits of fruit.

Here is an acutal double blind, placebo controlled, randomized study with heart patients. Half drank pomagranate juice, and half drank a sports drink of similar color, taste, and calories. The pomagranate juice group improved blood flow to the heart, and the control group worsened.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/16169367

Here's randomized placebo controlled study of flaxseed on breast cancer patients, performed in the brief 30 days between breast cancer diagnosis, and surgery. Half the patients took 25g flaxseed in a muffin, and half took a muffin without flaxseed. After a brief (approx) 30 days, a blood marker for cancer cell proliferation, plummeted.

Here is the abstract

www.pubmed.com/15897583

Here is a review

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/new/docs/pdf/AICR-InDepth-Issue-01-Flaxseed-and-Breast-Cancer.pdf

heretk replied to engineerguy's response:
Thanks for the studies. Well, I will then feel less guilty eating berries and fruit
Regards,
H.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.