Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High Protein - low Carb diet INCREASES heart attacks
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

In a study of 43,000 Swedish women, following them for 16 years, those eating fewer carbs and more protein, had more heart attacks.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T120714002753.htm

Now, if it were actually true that reducing carbs was good, this probably would not happen.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Tomato05 responded:
Wonder what role exercise maybe played. Perhaps the higher carb eaters also exercised more.

E.g. when I run a lot, I have to increase my carbs not by choice but simply because I have to, or I don't have enough fuel for a long run.

The exercise is probably strengthening my heart, not the carbs.

engineerguy replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi Tomato,

Good to see you around!

Re: "
The exercise is probably strengthening my heart, not the carbs."

These are 43,000 Swedish women. The study gets the result of an average person, and really does not measure the results of a very few untypical exercise enthusiasts. Just guessing, when they increased their carbs, it was more likely to enjoy a doughnut, rather than to help them run 5 miles.

engineerguy responded:
Hi Tomato,

Yes, it would be interesting to see the affect or role of exercise, and whether exercise differed between the groups.

heretk replied to engineerguy's response:
http://rdfeinman.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/reading-the-scientific-literature-a-guide-to-flawed-studies/

heretk responded:
It wasn't a low carb diet and it was not a high fat diet. The statistical variability spans from medium fat high carb low protein to medium fat medium carb medium protein diet.

It does not compare a low fat low protein high carbohydrate diet like those you are - sorry - were advocating, to a high fat medium protein low carb diet (that I like recommending).

Also, it was based on questionaire filled and filled out from memory so statistical error must be huge.

heretk replied to heretk's response:
More serious discussion of that study is contained in the following blog articles:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-time-to-retire-the-low-carb-diet-fad/

http://rawfoodsos.com/2012/07/01/bad-science-strikes-again/

Quote from the first link:

In 2010, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a paper looking directly at dairy fat and myocardial infarction among some of the same northern Swedes used in last week's study. The results? Women with high intakes of dairy fat — confirmed both by food-frequency questionnaires and ruminant-milk-fat biomarkers — were less likely to suffer from a first heart attack than their milk-minimizing counterparts. (Cheese and fermented dairy products looked particularly heart-protective.) And just in case you think that one was a fluke, a 2004 study examining the same Swedish population found dairy fat to be negatively associated with cardiovascular risk factors, with zero indication that full-fat milk products contribute to heart attacks. Want more? Yet another study (PDF), again based on those fat-loving northern Swedes, found dairy fat to be beautifully protective against strokes — especially in women. So much for all that "artery clogging" hoopla!

More comments about that Swedish study:

http://barrygroves.blogspot.ca/2012/06/study-finds-that-carbs-prevent-energy.html

Barry Groves said...Hi Ian

his study is quite ridiculous, and the Express's coverage of it, scandalously misleading. Here's why

1. The participants filled in a questionnaire about their diet just once 12 years before the follow-up.

2. The hazard ratios (harm vs benefit are so close to 1.0 that the result is not statistically significant.

3. The 'harm' is only increased for high protein intake, but a proper low-carb diet is NOT high protein, it is bigh fat.

4. Even so, the study's figures allow us to calculate that if you are a woman between 30 and 50 your chance of NOT dying from a heart attack in the next 12 years if you eat their low-carb, high-protein is 99.58%, but if you eat low protein high carb (which they say is healthier, you can increase your chance to 99.87%. That's an increase of a whole 0.28%!!!

5. Lastly, according to a previous paper from the same group they excluded anyone with any kind of disease, which means they have obviously excluded diabetics - the people who most benefit from a low-carb diet!
The whole thing is nonsense.
Barry Groves

June 28, 2012 8:50 PM

engineerguy replied to heretk's response:
Hi Heretic,

Check into Dr. Pekka Pushka, who has lead the effort in Finland. In the 1970's, Finland had the highest heart disease rate in the world. Today, they have lowered their heart disease rate by 75%. They are doing something right. And most of what they are doing is replacing whole milk with low fat and non-fat, working to reduce saturated fat content in manufactured foods, replace saturated fat with vegetable oil, cutting out trans fats, etc.

This is reality, and great results.

Re: "which means they have obviously excluded diabetics - the people who most benefit from a low-carb diet!" --Barry Groves

Obviously Barry Groves is not aware of the spectacular, published, results at the Pritikin Center, curing diabetes with a high carb low fat, mostly vegetable diet.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.