Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mysterious good health
Tomato05 posted:
I went for my annual routine blood tests as recommended by my doctor. I have osteoporosis, so I have to see her from time to time to get my medication.

Amazing - everything is wonderful. They've checked for a whole variety of things. My blood pressure is even low. Cholesterol great. All levels of minerals, blood protein, kidney function, you name it - all excellent. The numbers are like that of a healthy 25 year old. I am 48.

I actually feel guilty. I have had a particularly bad (wicked, actually) 3 months - I've moved and was under a lot of stress, so my good diet flew out by the window. I ate what I felt like, whenever I like, including excessive amounts of sweets. I had not routine and followed no routine for meals. I've put on weight too, which I now want to lose.

I think of others who struggle with their health and who are so careful with their diets. I am sure my luck won't last if I continued like I have the last few months. I must have eaten the amount of sugar in three months that other people consume in two years! Lots of meat too, lots of yogurt, fruit, cookies, candy, bread, butter, honey, nuts. Anything, basically, just not pasta and rice (not fond of either), not fruit juice (too overpowering), not processed meat, not much cheese. Sugar has probably been the main contributor to my daily calories.

I got into really bad sleeping habits too, sleeping about 5 hours a night (dark rings under my eyes now which weren't there before).

All I can say, is that throughout I kept eating lots of vegetables (which I really like), and I exercised a lot too, on average 6 days a week, and pretty intense. Maybe these 2 factors played a role, otherwise it is just good genes. Gosh, even my eyesight has improved when I went for a recent eye examination.

I can't say that I've felt any worse, only tired from not sleeping enough. Still, I won't be pushing my luck and will now eat healthier and sleep more again. Enough of these kamakaze habits. I may have done some damage that just isn't showing yet. Weird though, I would have expected some of the sins to have shown up in the blood test results.

jc3737 responded:
I have several relatives ages late 80s to early 90s ...all are healthy and active....and alll eat tons of chips,sweets,junk food....ice cream....anything they want.

There is more to this than just diet and the old excuse of good genes is just bull...its something deeper.

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
There is more! Stress may actually be beneficial (up to a certain level). I have seen papers (Russian) indicating that there is such a thing as an optimal level of stress. Mortality appears to increase sharply at both ends! There is a series of posts and comments on my blog (search for "hormesis") about effect of ionizing radiation on cancer and health. Radiation is another stressor to the body. Similar story. For example cancer mortality in various populations increases at very low radiation levels (including the so-called normal background radiation, which seems to be too low), as well as at very high levels. There is a broad optimum as far as cancer is concerned, at around ten to a hundred times times the standard background level.

H.

heretk replied to heretk's response:
You should look at Dr. Jack Kruse's blog (see the link on my stan-heretic.blogspot.com blog). He posted a lot of material indicating some amazingly beneficial effect of cold acting as a strange and powerful metabolic trigger. Cold temperature is also a stressor!

Tomato05 replied to heretk's response:
Yes, taking a metaphysical approach - maybe stress lets our survival techniques kick in on many levels.

Not sure about cold being beneficial for me though. My body doesn't like being cold, that's all I know. Plus, I have had a few fractures, which ache in synchrony when I'm cold. I grew up in a hot climate, which seems to have set my temperature gauge for life.

There are more heart attacks in winter too, because blood vessels contract. And I've read that cold weather lowers the immunity and thickens the blood.

heretk replied to Tomato05's response:
Correct! Under normal circumstances, heart patients must avoid a very cold weather and cold exposure in general, because a cold (and shock in general) triggers arterial contraction and in case of dysfunctional endothelium, may trigger a MI. However, a fully working endothelium protects coronary arteries against stress induced contraction by secreting nitric oxides, locally there. Peripheral arteries don't do that thus those contract and only those. Furthermore, Dr. Kruse experiments on cold induction are always done in conjuction with a ketogenic diet. A patient (he gives example, of even some elderly patients doing extremely well following some dificult surgeries) must be in a state of ketogenic metabolism, otherwise a sudden stress may kill and may suppress rather than boost one's immune system. Actually, the immune system does always declines momentarily upon impact of the stress hormones but then recovers and gets a huge boost in the following period. A state of ketosis is the essential condition for this to happen. One other thing that one may risk when cold trigger is applied without ketosis, is that it may be highly damaging to the neurons and may trigger neural apoptosis. The same effect may be triggered by a heat shock too. During a state of a shock, the stress hormones (glucocorticoid steroids) suppress glucose metabolism, therefore if there aren't enough ketone bodies floating around to serve as an alternative fuel, some neurons may starve and die. If you go to my blog you may find the link to Dr. Sapolsky's lectures on that topics (Sapolsky is a Stanford neurologist). BTW Ketone bodies re not only a superior fuel for neurons but also for heart muscle cells.
Regards,
H.

P.S.

It is not necesary to consume a very high no carb diet to be in ketosis, one can do it even on a high carbohydrate low fat diet but only if one consume meals very infrequently, for example only once a day and nothing in between, no snacking. That is no snacking with carbohydrates!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.