jc3737 posted:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/clc.4960140816/pdf

jc3737 responded:
Results

of Experimental Research on Atherosclerosis
and Hypertension

They showed that adding small amounts of cholesterol
and fat to diets of chickens induces atherosclerosis despite
little or no nse in serum cholesterol levels.
2. The group compiled evidence that both exogenous
and endogenous estrogens protect chickens against coronary
atherosclerosis usually resulting from cholesterol
feeding and that estrogens reverse cholesterol-induced
plaques despite continued cholesterol feeding.
3. Finally, they demonstrated that salt depletion of renal
hypertensive dogs induces falls in blood pressure

to normal
levels.
Epidemiologic

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
He was most likely wrong on most counts. Let me quote:

Re: I . Relationship of serum cholesterol, systolic and dias-
tolic blood pressure, and cardiovascular risks are continu-
ous, graded, curvilinear, independent, and etiologically sig-
nificant. The optimal serum cholesterol level is <180
mgldl. Optimal blood pressure is < 120/80 mmHg.

My comment: this is coincidental not causual. All the above factor, in many if not cases result from one common cause - abuse of refined carbohydrates! Excessive carbohydrates lead to metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia, arteriosclerosis, diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol and hypertension.

2 . Cigarette use is strongly related to coronary and car-
diovascular risks, as well as cancer risks, independent of
other risk factors.

Yes, especially if combined with a high carbohydrate low fat diet. A high fat low carb diet seems to be protective against damage caused by smoking.

3. Clinical diabetes is strongly related to coronary and
cardiovascular risks in men and women, both black and
white.

Yes

... Dietary lipid, particularly cholesterol, is signifi-
cantly related to cardiovascular and all-cause mortality, in-
dependent of other risk factors.

Not true. New studies (for example, various European studies, most notably Malmo study) invalidated that hypothesis. In some the corfelation was found to be reverse - the more dietary fat the less heart disease. So is the so-called "French Paradox", "Spanish Paradox", "Greek Paradox" etc.

Re: ..Hypertension is the strongest risk factor for strokes.

Coincidental. Hypertension is related to high refined carbohydrate high sugar high caloric diet and metabolic syndrome and those are the true primary risk factors. Kwasniewski was treating hypertension by a low carb high fat diet. On Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet, hypertensive blood pressure drops almost immediately, within 24 hours. I know you told me (JC) that it didn't work for you but I suspect you may have done something wrong like eating too much protein or salt, for instance, rather than being a medical exception.

Re: 5. The Coronary Drug Project showed the ability to
achieve long-term secondary prevention of coronary heart
disease by lowering serum lipids with high-dose nico-
tinic acid.

Small reduction. Nicotinic acid (Niacin) activates ketone bodies receptors and also increases HDL. Ketone bodies ... ketogenic diet ... high fat diet....

High fat diet also increases HDL and produces ketone bodies.

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
"within 24 hours. I know you told me (JC) that it didn't work for you but I suspect you may have done something wrong like eating too much protein or salt, for instance, rather than being a medical exception."

I may have had too much protein but i'm sure I did not get too much sodium.My numbers got worse on the diet and the only positive was that of great enjoyment.I had tons of meat(pork chops mostly)and eggs cooked in tons of butter.

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
Did you maintain the correct proportions for OD specified by Kwasniewski, namely, for every 1kg of your ideal body weight:
1g protein ( /-15%)
1.5 to 3g of fat (approx)
0.5 to 1g of carbohydrates
?

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
I probably did not...I just cut carbs to under 50g,added tons of fat,butter,yogurt, sour cream at every meal,eggs,pork chops,salmon...low carb veges like greens.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

Nifty link on Stamler. Impressive results. Thanks.

Hi Heretic,

Great to see you around. Great theories.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.