Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
No caffeine or salt on the Fuhrman diet?
BigDaddyMatty posted:
Why no coffee or added salt on the Fuhrman diet? Thanks.

jc3737 responded:
I think its because salt causes water retention which raises blood pressure and has other negative effects on the body,the kidneys,the eyes,etc. We get enough sodium and salt with a normal intake of vegetables so its almost impossible to get too little salt.I think Fuhrman is right about this issue in the McDougall vs Fuhrman debate.

Its just my personal opinion from looking at all the data and studies but he is probably wrong about coffee.While there are negatives about caffein the net overall effect of coffee is positive.Probably because coffee is a strong antioxidant which overrides the negatives of caffein.

He is likley wrong about starches like potatoes being unhealthy.There are just far too many healthy,long lived societies around the world that thrive on rice and potatoes.And potatoes are loaded with nutrients.

BigDaddyMatty replied to jc3737's response:
Thanks for your input.

I walk for almost 3 hours/day. I sweat profusely. I'm not sure I get enough salt from veg intake.

jc3737 replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
I'm a runner often in very hot weather here in TN....I only get the sodium in vegetables and its no problem for me.Since I have gone low sodium I don't sweat much anymore....also lost about 80 lbs on this diet but only needed to lose 50-60.Keeping weight on is a problem with this diet but given my blood pressure and blood glucose issues i don't really have a choice but to stay on the diet.

engineerguy replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
Hi folks,

Interesting about sodium. I attended the Pritikin Longevity Center, in Florida, a few years ago. They pointed out that there is a hormone change, about a week after going on a low sodium diet, to conserve the sodium in the body, and not sweat as much sodium into the sweat.

So, if someone is sweating profusely, from exercising, and suddenly cuts sodium intake, for a week they are taking in little sodium, and still sweating it out at a high level, because the hormone change has not kicked in yet. Then the person can get into trouble, and have heat stroke, which can be fatal.

So, when cutting out salt out of the diet, do not sweat a lot for the first week, and then build gradually.

Now that I have cut sodium out of my diet, except for lots of veggies and beans, I sweat much less. When I exercised with friends, I used to be the guy drenched in sweat, when others were just perspiring a bit. Now I sweat much less than most people.

So, give your body a week to adjust, and then increase perspiration gradually.

When I cut the salt, and stopped sweating profusely, I became much less susceptible to athletes foot, also.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
I noticed that also....I don't sweat much anymore....the only salt I get is that found naturally in vegetables.For me a no sodium added diet is a must...my blood pressure can not take any added salt or sodium at all.Also after going vegan my body odor has been cut by 90%....have you noticed that?

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

Re: ...cut by 90%... : yes, me too, but the beans have provided a counterbalance, for net gain of zero. ^o^

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
I have 3 cups of beans every day and tons of greens....with plenty of noise but no odor???

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

We all have different levels of various digestive enzymes in the stomach. We get gas when stuff enters the small intestine, without being fully digested in the stomach, for the stomach's part of the digestive process. Kids and youngsters typically have lots of digestive enzymes. As a kid, I never understood the jokes about beans being gassy. Now I get it. ^o^

Anyway, I guess I'm low on some enzyme that prevents the odors. No problem. I've issues my wife a military gas mask. It It is fully effective.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.