Skip to content
insulin
jc3737 posted:
Fasting insulin level is something we need to consider.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(12)00186-4/fulltext

dteresa responded:
Is it worth it to have a fasting insulin level done? Doesn't it change from day to day like glucose and a fasting level will only tell you what it is for that day?

Dololres

jc3737 replied to dteresa's response:
I don't know,but I assume a fasting level is more stable and consistent since you have not eaten in 12 hrs....much like fasting blood glucose which is used to alert doctors to diabetes.I'm going to have mine checked in a few weeks since its been 3-4 yrs.I think we have seen enough evidence thats its an important marker to make it a good test.....and apparently blood glucose does not always do the job of predicting cardio events.

dteresa replied to jc3737's response:
And what would you do differently if the number is considered too high? What is a healthy insulin number?

Dolores

jc3737 replied to dteresa's response:
I'm not sure but at least I would know my present diet is not ideal and i need too look at some changes.It would tell me where I stand.My last reading was a 2 which is very very low.If the number is too high I would at the very least need to do some serious re-evaluating.

My diet now is potatoes,steamed vegetables,1 almond,green leaf lettuce,and beans....and 1 tablespoon of flax seed.

My diet 4 yrs ago had some dairy and a large amount of nuts in it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.