Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Carb Nite Solution
jonesx posted:
Are ultra low carb diets safe for people who need to lose a maximum of 10lbs? Are they safe generally speaking?

dteresa responded:
If by ultra low carb you mean a diet of meat and fat my answer would be no--especially if you have diabetes or a heart condition. Others might give you another answer.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to dteresa's response:
I agree with Dolores as would most on this message board with the exception of Heretic.

Most of eat a diet that is a mixture of Dr Joel Fuhrman and Dr.John McDougall.

Either diet will cause drastic weight loss.

cellarelf responded:
Yes, they are. I am a diabetic and follow Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". He's been treating diabetics for 40 years and his goal for Type 2 diabetics is to reverse insulin resistance. Which means a diet of under 25gm of carbs per day and only from non-starchy vegies and whatever is found in the protein (e.g. eggs have carbs). He also limits protein to 1-1.5gm per kilo of ideal weight since excess protein is ketogenic.

Following his diet, I've lost 200 pounds, reversed my insulin resistance and am off all insulin with an A1c of 4.9 and consistent glucose readings around 90 or lower. Get the book. He includes all the science behind why you don't need fruits, grains or starches and why it's a lie that we must have fiber (from these grains).

anon9876 replied to cellarelf's response:
cellarelf, I am interested in your response. How long have you been eating a bernstein type of diet?

Here is video number 35 from plant positive. Number 36 should follow automatically. It is part two of the How to Become Insulin Resistant videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prdh62Qklvc&list=PLv3QDzdxan_JkGX47Rpboyh2oYyAFZDBA&index=35

Bernstein has remained healthy for years and years and has certainly hit on what will control his t1. I have often wondered about using this method for t2 since a t1 MUST use insulin and I wonder if insulin resistance is a problem at all for them.

If you are familiar with the Atkins diet which seems similar to me, Atkins said in his first book that his diet was perfect for t2s and he treated his t2 patients with this ultra low carb diet. However he did say in his first book that if you are getting a glucose tolerance test to go off his diet for a few days because otherwise you will test diabetic. Now why is this? If one is not insulin resistant won't that show up in a glucose tolerance test? And if the ultra low carb diet does not make you insulin resistant then why would you do poorly on a gtt?

In his book Dr. Atkins Nutrition Breakthrough he says that some of his diabetics adjust to the new regimen and start to spill sugar again. He then came up with the "meat and millet" diet for t2s which adds grains to the diet. Which is why I asked about the length of time you have been doing this. On other groups I have read that some have been low carbing for as many as eight years.

Sometimes even a diet of twinkies might cause risk factors to improve as long as you are losing weight.. Although he is not diabetic, perhaps you are familiar with Jimmy Moore who went on the atkins diet and lost lots of weight--then regained it back although he made a living from his books and speaking engagements etc. He is now on a diet of about 85% fat which he calls a diet of nutritional ketosis and is losing weight again. It sounds like the bernstein diet might keep you in a permanent state of ketosis.

This is a board where there are differences of opinion but no opinion is unwelcome. So it is good to have you describe your own experience with very low carbing.

didi

anon9876 replied to anon9876's response:
cellarelf, I just found this on a low carb site. At the bottom of this page is the link to this low carb guy's answer for controlling cholesterol and LDL.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/03/low-carb-paleo-and-ldl-is-soaring-%E2%80%93-help/

You mentioned your glycated hemoglobin. How are your cholesterol numbers and blood pressure? And what is your age?

dolores

cellarelf replied to anon9876's response:
Didi,
I discovered Atkins in 1972 when his first book came out and, over the years, have followed it off and on. I wish I had continued to follow it as I believe I would never have become insulin resistant or gained the weight I did. At any rate, When I was diagnosed with diabetes (A1c of 13), I tried the ADA diet and even Atkins, but still had out of control BG's. I also tried later versions of his diet but they were even worse at controlling my BG. I have to admit that at that point, I just tried to control it the best I could with the insulin (Lantus and Humalog) and kind of ignored the diabetes beyond that (i.e. no special diet). Later versions of his book allow higher carbs and get into this whole game of not counting some carbs (e.g. fiber...which I've found still affect my BG) so it doesn't surprise me that diabetics would have difficulty controlling their diabetes.

Then 18 months ago, I discovered Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". I discovered that the reason I couldn't control my diabetes with Atkins is because Atkins allows for higher amounts of protein...which for a diabetic is problematic since excess protein can raise our BG. Most of the people I know who have been low carbing for years and controlling their diabetes are either following Bernstein or NK (which also keeps to moderate protein).

By the time I discovered Bernstein, I was starting to show the beginnings of various neuropathies (which have since reversed) and it scared me enough that I followed his plan to the letter. Within 1 week of 100% compliance, I was able to get rid of the insulin at meals (obviously since I wasn't eating the carbs). Within 6 weeks, I had reduced my daily Lantus from 100 units down to 10. At that point I stopped it altogether because I was bottoming out around 1 a.m. My BG's ran a bit high (120's) for another week or so and then stabilized under 100...with no meds.

I am familiar with Nutritional Ketosis which is a moderate protein, high fat, carbs under 10gm per day. I enjoy my green vegies (limited though they may be) *way* too much to give them up. I bought a meter awhile back to measure the ketones in my blood and at 25gms I am not in ketosis. When I tried the NK program and did under 10gms, I was in ketosis. Perhaps my body is just more supersensitive to carbs? Dunno.

I hope I haven't rambled too much here.

Let's try this again. My screen just refreshed and deleted everything.

I am a 57 year old, post menopause woman, short and small boned. My BP went from 158-178/20-30 down to roughly 110/70 in about a week. Most likely because when I'm not low carbing, I hold *lots* of fluid. It pretty much stays there now.

Cholesterol numbers...that's a *long* discussion. I would suggest reading Dr. Malcolm Kendricks "The Great Cholesterol Con" is an excellent book and you might look up Gary Taubes on the internet. I gave my doc Kendrick's book and she also read Taubes and a few others and I will simply say (besides loving that she has an open mind and is willing to expand her horizons) that she is very happy with my cholesterol numbers.

Dolores,
Just checked out the link you gave. To be honest, I just don't get into commenting on the 'worth' of other eating plans. I firmly believe that there is no one diet suited for all of us...other than my firm belief that diabetics would have better control of their diabetes on a low carb diet and eating only the types of carbs normally found in foods (e.g. eggs) or non-starchy vegies.

For a long time I wondered why, when Bernstein has been around for 40 years, the ADA and medical institution still recommends a fairly high carb diet for diabetes. After being a presenter at several of my doctor's monthly seminars for her diabetic patients, I now understand why. It's because the vast majority of people refuse to give up the very thing that's slowly killing them, preferring to just throw more medicine at it. One lady actually told me there was no way she could give up her daily sugar laden chai and 2 cookies that she had every morning. So my conclusion is that perhaps it's because they believe they have a better chance of compliance if they can still eat 'normally' (whatever that is).

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.