Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Regain your weight, with the Atkins Diet
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

I originally posted this Sep 10, 2008.

Hi Hilltopper,

Every diet has plateau's.

I don't like to rain on people's parades, but unfortunately you have chosen a very poor diet. Please let me explain.

I spoke with a Colorado State TOPS (Take Pounds Off Sensibly) Queen. In one year, she lost the most weight of of all TOPS folks in Colorado. She proudly said she lost 63 pounds on the Atkins diet. I tried not to roll my eyes, as she was huge. She said, yes, she gained it all back and more. Of course, this can happen with all diets. But...
The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) is a website (1) created by some university professors, to find out what plan successful weight losers used. Anyone who has lost 30 pounds, and kept it off at least a year (with a doctor's note), is encouraged to join and share their story. 5000 registry members have lost an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for 5.5 years.

Most of the registry members have a low fat diet, and exercise. ONLY 1% USED AN ATKINS STYLE DIET(2).

We all know people who defend the Atkins diet. It is not likely that they become shrinking violets, given the opportunity to join the NWCR. This means that the Atkins diet is much worse than others, when it comes to keeping the weight off.

Just as bad are the health implications of the Atkins diet. Some person's health does improve on the Atkins diet, but we believe it was due to the weight loss, and the improvement would have been greater if the person had used a healthful diet, as we use on this board. Some person's health definitely does not improve, on the Atkins diet.

We on this board use the programs of Ornish, Pritikin, McDougall, Esselstyn and Fuhrman. These programs are all very similar, and the success of one reinforces the success of all of them. I followed Pritikin for 30 years, and the world class nutritionist at the Pritikin Longevity Center recommended Fuhrman, above the Pritikin books. I have followed Fuhrman for a year, and my results have definitely improved.
I hope this helps.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

(1) http://www.nwcr.ws/ National Weight Control Registry
(2) Communication of NWCR authors with nutritionists at Pritikin Longevity Center

dteresa responded:
EG, On this group we eat different diets. Else why the debate? Why do you say we eat diets recommended by the plant based guys?

Dolores

engineerguy replied to dteresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

My earlier post was on the Ornish forum, thus the misplaced reference to "we".

Thanks for catching the guy eating lots of fat. Clearly, I did not last the whole video.

Great to hear from you, as always. Your inputs are always insightful, valuable, and or halarious. Gotta love it.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.