Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pomegranates - amazing
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

We do not recommend a diet centered on any one food. But we do include some foods most days. This would be one of those foods.

This is lifted from a Dr. Fuhrman email:

The seeds and juice of the pomegranate possess potent antioxidant and anticancer properties. Recent research has shown that pomegranates inhibit breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer and leukemia and prevent vascular changes that promote tumor growth in lab animals.1 The potent antioxidative compounds in pomegranates have been shown to reverse atherosclerosis and reduce excessive blood clotting and platelet clumping, factors that can lead to heart attacks and strokes.2 Pomegranates can naturally lower blood pressure.3 When heart patients with severe carotid artery blockages were given a daily dose of less than an ounce of pomegranate juice for a year, their blood pressure decreased by over 20 percent and they had a 30 percent reduction in atherosclerotic plaque.4 Pomegranates also reduce tissue damage in those with kidney problems, reduce the incidence of kidney infections and prevent serious infections.5

References

1. Kim Nd, Mehta R, Yu W, et al. Chemopreventive and adjuvant therapeutic potential of pomegranate (Punica granatum) for human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2002; 71(3): 203-17. Kohno H, Suzuki R, Yasui Y, et al. Pomegranate seed oil rich in conjugated linolenic acid suppresses chemically induced colon carcinogenesis in rats. Cancer Sci 2004; 95(6): 481-86. Toi M, Bando H, Ramachandran C, et al. Preliminary studies on the anti-angiogenic potential of pomegranate fractions in vitro and in vivo. Angiogen 2003; 6(2): 121-28. Kawaii S, Lansky EP. Differentiation-promoting activity of pomegranate (Punica granatum) fruit extracts in HL-60 human promyelocytic leukemia cells. J Med Food 2004; 7(1): 13-18

2. Aviram M. Dornfeld L, Rosenblat M, et al. Pomegranate juice consumption reduces oxidative stress, atherogenic modifications to LDL, and platelet affregation: studies in humans and in atherosclerotic apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Am J Clin Nutr 2000; 71(5): 1062-76.

3. Aviram M. Dornfeld L. Pomegranate juice consumption inhibits serum angiotensin coveting enzyme activity and reduces systolic blood pressure. Atheroscl 2001; 158(1): 195-8

4. Aviram M, Rosenblat M, Gaitini D, et al. Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure, and LDL oxidation. Clin Nutr 2004; 23(3): 423-33.

5/ American Society of Nephrology (2010, Nov 19). Pomegranate juice reduces damage to tissues, inflammation and infections, study suggests. Science Daily. Retrieved Mar 12, 2011, from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101119083126.htm .

dteresa responded:
I was never so surprised as I was a couple of years ago when I saw a picture of a recipe from a fancy restaurant in which pomegranate seeds were sprinkled on top of the entree. When I was a kid I only knew this fruit as chinese apples which was how they were sold. I think they cost about 15 cents at the time. the kids who ate them would suck on the seeds to extract the juicy part then spit the hard seed out. I never ate them because I thought it looked terrible to be spitting out the seeds all the time after you had sucked off the sweet pulpy stuff. I wondered how you would delicately spit out seeds in a fancy restaurant. I had no idea you were supposed to eat the hard center along with the sweet pulp.

Now I love them. Just bought the best tasting gigantic pomegranates I ever ate at 2 for 3 dollars.

Dolores

engineerguy replied to dteresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

Yes, they are in season now. My better half and I have taken the arils out of about 30 pomegranates, and freeze them. They'll last for many months.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

deadmanwalking57 responded:
I found research on Pomegranate's benefits for heart and arteries about Spring 2007. Heart of the matter seems to be paraoxonase, which, to repeat, turbocharges HDL, has a very high anti-oxidant value, and stimulates removal of oxidized LDL from blockage sites.

I have been eating them or drinking the juice or tea ever since, multiple times per day.

I am sure I have tips or resources on some forums on WebMD from many years ago citing the studies.

DMW, now rowing again, and playing volleyball. Walking is damn near too easy to bother with.

jc3737 replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Good for you...I'm still in the occasional pick-up basketball game but its getting harder at 63.

Unfortunately any type of juice,fruit, or any type of sugar does not agree with me and I can only have low sugar vegetables.Even carrots have to be limited and no dairy....even nuts have lots of sugar....I get GERD any time I get any kind of sugar....potatoes however don't give me any problems.I think nature is telling me whats healthy for me by restricting what I can tolerate.Meat or fat gives me GERD so its off limits....just can not tolerate it anymore.I hope my digestive system is steering me in the right direction.

deadmanwalking57 replied to jc3737's response:
jc:

Are you sure none of that pain might be anginal in nature ?

GERD from so many sources. I do dilute the pomegranate juice about 3 to 1, water to pomegranate juice.

jc3737 replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Probably not angina....sugar is known to feed GERD and I can not tolerate sugar at all...I have never heard of a sugar/angina connection....but the pain is relieved by antiacids and often comes with burping suggesting gas formation.

Thanks for the warning Dead....keep on with the exercise.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.