Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Too much iodine?
dteresa posted:
I made a vegan recipe which tastes just like tuna. However, I used one teaspoon of Dulse and 2 tablespoons of dried Kelp in the recipe--and afterwards read the amount of iodine in the stuff which is not actually included in the nutrition label but elsewhere on the box. It is hundreds of times the RDA for iodine. Anyone think I should toss out the Not Tuna?

Dolores

jc3737 responded:
Too much iodine on a regulat basis (150mcg per day is too much)and can cause thyroid and other problems.I take 150mcg 3 days per week since I don't get fish or iodized salt in my diet.

Your overload of iodine for one day is probably not harmful but I would not have that much iodine at one time and would throw it out just to be safe.

dteresa replied to jc3737's response:
and it was so delicious. goodbye not tuna. we hardly knew ye.

Dolores

heretk replied to dteresa's response:
Dolores,

I seriously doubt if just a few oz of tuna once a week would have caused any problem whatsoever. Japanese and other Asians eat starch lean fish diet all the time (much more fish than you probably ate) and have very little heart disease.

On the other hand, one thing that I suspect may contribute to cardiovascular disease risk on a high carbohydrate diet, is excessive consumption of saturated fats! For example palmytate fatty acid triggers cellular insulin resistance which is compensated by pancreatic insulin production resulting in hyperinsulinemia. Hyperinsulinemia is highly atherosclerogenic (see my blog posts on R.W. Stout papers).

Therefore high carb meals should not be consumed with saturated fats!

Polyunsaturated fats on the other hands do not cause insulin resistance response, but are not better on the high carb diet either because the lack of insulin resistance causes the cells to be overloaded with glucose plus fatty acids at the same time, and is obesogenic, and that kind of dual fuel overload may leads to mitochondrial degeneration and diabetes. (Note: that is my speculative interpretation!) .

That's why probably people now experience a delayed onset of cardiovascular disease than 50 years ago, at the price of obesity epidemics (have a look at my latest blog post and the readers' comments).

All that does not of course matter on the high fat low carb diet.

H.

dteresa replied to heretk's response:
H, it wasn't tuna but not tuna. A recipe made with chickpeas that uses two tablespoons of powdered kelp and one teaspoon of
Dulse poviding thousands of times more than the RDA of iodine. My own thyroid TSH was 3.79 last time it was tested which is almost too high so I didn't want to take any chances.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.