Skip to content
microwaved potatoes=cancer???
jc3737 posted:
Does this mean I have to stop microwaving potatoes?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/4x4_reports/2183386.stm

dteresa responded:
They tested grated potatoes--I guess as in frozen hash browns. Could be the large surface area of the grated potatoes.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to dteresa's response:
What does Dr McDougall say about microwaving potatoes or microwaving in general?

The study I posted was a decade old so its likely some conclusions have been reached,or some follow-up study done.

dteresa replied to jc3737's response:
I asked this question and I believe Jeff had a number of references, also referring back to a previous discussion. Can't remember what he said.

Dolores

heretk replied to dteresa's response:
I also can't generally remember what Jeff Novick says, but I do remember what Dr.McD always says - "eat starchy vegetables".

Re: the study on microwaving, acrylamid etc.

Since childhood I always suspected that there is something dodgy about veggies

Any cooking method involving heating starchy food containing some protein (i.e. all starchy vegetables), much above 100 degree C, will probably result in similar acrylamid contents, or perhaps even higher, since the exposure to heat in a normal baking oven is longer and temperatures can be higher.

Best way of avoiding it is probably either not to eat fried or baked vegetables, or eat them "wet cardboard" boiled or raw. But then raw vegetables are less absorbed than cooked.

H.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.