Skip to content
We need more data
engineerguy posted:
Hi Heretic,

There have been dozens, perhaps hundreds of posts, in this discussion board over the years, between you and jc, where you said "We need more data".

This post suggests some data anybody can get about himself, or herself, for their private consideration. There are so many variables and theories on diet and health. It is good to improve our knowledge about our own health with some simple tests.

You come to the states sometimes. An IMT test, Intimal Medial Thickness test, tells you the average thickness of the imtima of the carotid arteries, on the left and right sides. In Salt Lake, if you pay cash, it costs $160. You do need a doctor's prescription. There is a more expensive dopler test, but that is not necessary. Ensure you verify the type test and cost, before getting the test. This is completely safe and non-invasive. It is just like a baby ultrasound of the carotid arteries. Perhaps a Google search can find a diagnostic center that will do it for you.

When you have your eyes checked, ask your eye doctor how your retinas look. Do you have capillaries like a teen ager?

You have posted good cholesterol numbers many times, but we know from the Masai, that good numbers on your diet, are not reassuring at all. Even 6 year old children of the Masai, can have fibrosis, a form of atherosclerosis. That's why I am suggesting an IMT test.

You could check the pH of your urine. But I don't know what normal is. I do know that mine is alkaline. Maybe pH paper could do the trick.

You say you do not exercise. Do you minimize salt intake? Recall that I posted that healthy young astronauts lose 1 to 2% of their entire bone bass of calcium, each month (1). Do you have acid urine, depleting your bones of calcium?

Best regards, EngineerGuy


Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.