Skip to content
for debate
jc3737 posted:
Heretic,EG,Shoot this down

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/5/1102.full

engineerguy responded:
Hi jc,

Interesting link, as always.

Full disclosure. I did not read the entire article.

The first study, the polyunsaturated fat diet reduced heart attacks by 50 to 65%, compared to an equally high fat diet of saturated fat (The Finnish Mental Health Study). This is pretty amazing. The polyunsaturated fat diet included soft margarine, which is TRANS fat. And the heathy diets advocated on the Ornish - Fuhrman board, exclude the polyunsaturated fats also. So, this is a contest between awful diets. It would be interesting to compare the death rate from heart disease, to today's death rate. I'll bet they were both very high. Even so, a 50 and 65% heart disease reduction, in terms of actual results, acutal heart disease in people, instead of cholesterol measurements and theories, does not bode well for those who advocate saturated fat always.

The take home message is to pay attention to the programs that have the best results, which is absolutely neither of the diets in the Finnish Mental Hospital Study.

But I will save the link. Thanks, jc, as always.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.