Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
study
jc3737 posted:
This study does not undercut the McDougall/Fuhrman type diets but it does raise some issues about the role of fat in the diet.This goes against all logic but it's the results these researchers got.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/5/1175.abstract?ijkey=874d91db4a45f86d3c03b00dcec7fc9c682ecabc&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

heretk responded:
It does undercut McDougall! His theory is based on "fat is bad" and "starch is healthy" mantra. He is simply wrong. That paper and many other just prove that.

Quote:

"Conclusions: In postmenopausal women with relatively low total fat intake, a greater saturated fat intake is associated with less progression of coronary atherosclerosis, whereas carbohydrate intake is associated with a greater progression."

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
Another possible explanation....those who eat less fat have to make up the difference in calories from another source....I'm guessing that source is often wheat,sugar,processed carbs....thats not only possibe but very,very likely....most people who eat less fat make up the difference in junk carbs.....so....

that would not undercut the McDougall/Fuhrman type diets.

From personal experience... granted that wheat may be a suspect carb but I dont think the same applies to potatoes,beans,and vegetables.

What this study shows is that junk carbs are worse than fat but it does not show that fat is harmless or healthy.

solpwr replied to heretk's response:
No causal link is established here. There are many risk factors, especially for women. Fat "loads the gun", but is not necessarily the "trigger" mechanism.

McDougall has it right. The Adventist Study 2 at Loma Linda will prove it.

anon615 replied to heretk's response:
Then Esselstyn must be a liar and the people in his study got sicker and sicker over the last twenty years with arteries shutting down from not enough sat fat.

Asians on traditional low sat fat diets high in carbs must be dropping like flies from heart disease.

There must be a conspiracy to keep McDougall's patients and live in program attendees from publicizing the fact that their health has gone from bad to worse on his diet and the heart attack rate among these people must be plaguing them.

Heart disease takes years to develop and while it is entirely possible that someone eating sat fats and very low carb remains healthy with clean arteries, I have yet to see a study following a group of heart patients over several years whose blocked arteries have shown reversal and who have remained incident free on such a high sat fat low carb diet.

Dolores
P.S. While Esselstyn reports no heart events over several years in patients who had surgeries and stents and who follow his diet, he does report somewhere that there was reversal in some arteries, no progression in others--but he did find progression in some arteries in some people.

anon615 replied to anon615's response:
ok. what happened to my paragraphs? Are they being rationed?

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.