Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stents?
jc3737 posted:
From personal observation stents do appear to prolong life.....several realtives have had stents that ended the problem,one had bypass surgery 24 yrs ago after severe blockage and angina.Still alive and will be 88 this April.

An intervention appeared to help Dolores when she had her heart attack.

So, do I belive the research data or direct personal observation.If the weather forecast tell me its sunny outside and I get soaked in the rain I tend to believe direct personal observation.

I know thats not science and may just be isolated cases but it does have an effect on perception.

Here is the study...

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)60319-6/abstract

anon615 responded:
jc, I had a stent placed after a heart attack and coding. They told me the cause was a clot. It was not due to blockage from plaque build up in that artery. Esselstyn, McDougall et al all say that in case of emergency a stent can be lifesaving.

I think the objection is to placing stents before an artery is closed and in a non emergency situation instead of recommending a change in diet and/or exercise and other lifestyle changes.

However, these things do block up again with plaque and there is a lot of evidence for late stent thrombosis with some doubts about a rebound effect from Plavix when it is stopped.. Some suggest taking plavix for life because of this.

jc3737 replied to anon615's response:
I don't know but I would guess your hsCRP was high indicating inflammation and your vit D level was also low which also seems to be correlated with inflammation.

Inflammation is correlated with clotting so its possible you have overall body and blood vessel inflammation.Have you had your hsCRP and vit D tested....both are likley to be problems.

My fathers in laws stent was after angina and again after a mild heart attack....there was some degree of blockage both times but I don't know how extensive it was or if a low fat McDougall/Fuhrman diet would heave solved the problem.

anon615 replied to jc3737's response:
The thing about crp is that it just identifies inflammation, not what is causing it. It could be from a viral infection or something else. And if it is tested and high, what are my choices? Wouldn't I just be very strict about a plant based diet and exercise? I understand that driving homocysteine down with folate, B12 and B6 .does not change outcomes--just gives better numbers.
This is true of so many pharmaceuticals. You just die with better numbers.

The D is something else and whether it can be remedied by pills and sunshine when the weather changes remains to be seen.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to anon615's response:
You are right.....what can be done about inflammation?....nothing that you are not already doing...

I guess eliminating the fish you were eating twice per week has alreadt decreased your hcCRP/inflammation so thats about it....except for some herbal supplements like boswellia... but then supplements can cause be dangerous especially long term.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.