Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
julia child
anon615 posted:
I just watched an old video of Julia Child, cooking with another chef. She lived to the age of 92. She sang the praises of butter and used meats and dairy and eggs. Lest the fat and meat supporters think this diet allowed her to reach the age of 92, she also made lots of rich desserts and enjoyed wine. So, high carb (much of which was refined) and high meat and fat and dairy and eggs. Everyone knows people who lived to ripe old ages and didn't worry in the least about what they ate.

So why are we debating the merits of one diet over another? And why do more and more young people become fat and get diabetes? And why do people get strokes and heart attacks at younger and younger ages. And why is one child out of 110 autistic? An outrageously high number.

Is the answer the consumption of more and more food which has been tampered with by unrestrained agricultural interests? Something else in the environment?

I am beginning to wonder if what is in the cards is in the cards and if we are only kidding ourselves by thinking our chosen diet will improve our health.

Dolores

heretk responded:
Hi Dolores,

There is a very nice movie made about her called "Julia and Julia". Very interesting life story, you will enjoy it!

Best regards,
Stan

jc3737 responded:
"I am beginning to wonder if what is in the cards is in the cards and if we are only kidding ourselves by thinking our chosen diet will improve our health"

If one accepts that reality is created at another level then you are correct about diet not having any real bearing on health.But beliefs are largely responsible for what we experience so what we believe about the food we eat is the important thing.

For whatever reason I must believe that a plant based diet is healthy and since thats what I believe I better live according to my belief.

anon615 replied to jc3737's response:
I chose a plant based diet too. I have to choose something. To not choose is to choose. I do think that no matter what your diet, it is important to eat real, whole food (if there is such a thing anymore) preferably without chemical baths (most of which I can't afford) and to eliminate sugary, fatty, salty manufactured "food". I think it is reasonable to speculate about milk, which no species eats after weaning and about eating animals pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and finished in feed lots and crowded poultry houses. And to be suspicious of the power behind food disparagement laws and to wonder why there is not an outcry that in several places it is against the law to photograph certain farms and other places raising animals and to wonder what they are hiding. Fear of contamination is another reason I choose not to eat meat. And one of the reasons I, on rare occasions, eat in a restaurant but with great trepidation.

If you have seen the movie, Food, Inc. you will be afraid to eat anything.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to anon615's response:
But then donn't we have many fears about plant food also....arsenic in rice,poisons in poatoes cooked at temps over 300 degrees???,aflatoxins in nuts,pesticide contamination of vegetables,bacterial contamination of plants especially greens,and the effects of acid rain on plants.

I guess we ahve to decide which is worse animal food contamination or plant food contamination.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.