- Vegetable oil reduces cholesterol but is unhealthy

- Fat causes heart disease

- Fat causes diabetes

- Fat is unhealthy

- Eating plants is healthy

- Eating meat is unhealthy

- Low fat diets are healthy

- Whole grains are healthy, refined grains are unhealthy

I call them "looser's" theories because many people fail maintaining their good health all the while are clinging onto them as if they were religious dogmas even thought every one of them has already been contradicted by decades of anecdotal stories, cases stories, scientific research studies and the known principles of biochemistry and the evidence-based medicine.

It is not shameful to be wrong. We all have been to some extent, for a time being, but It is imprudent to persist being wrong while ignoring the evidence!

If you ignore reality and act against your own self-interest, you will eventually get what you want - failure!

Regards,
Heretic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QUChSlUEH0

(note: Dr. Seneff is in her late 60-ties)

jc3737 responded:
Losers theories???

ignoring evidence???

Maybe but the sci evidence is so mixed how could anyone possibly know...i know you think the evidence is tilted in your favor but then EG probably thinks the data is tilted in his favor.

There are literally thousand of studies that support a starch based diet so its difficult to dismiss the science but I also recognize there are many studies in support of the Med diet.

Until a good study is finally done that specifically tests the McDougall or Fuhrman diets its going to be impossible to reach a conclusion....The studies that are done on carb diets usually involve white flour,processed garins,and sugar so any mention of a carb diet in a study is worthless just as so many studies don't seperate trans fat from saturated fat.

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
Then why do the popular low fat vegan promoters shut down any debate about the merit of their approach, including contrary data? You are supposed to applaud them all the time, no?

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
I think its several factors:

They don't understand that "support" can come in many forms especially the resolution of contary data....which i consider the most powerful type of support.

People just don't like to be around others who disagree with them.Thats true of both sides and not just the low fat vegans.I have posted several examples of my problem dealings with low carb advocates.

I'm not happy with the way they hide behind the tired old line..."this forum is for the support of those following this diet"...it shows a lack of understanding for the term "support" and moves into censorship.Your forum is the only low carb forum that leaves my posts up and even answers.I have not had good luck with others.

Maybe Dr McDougall will eventually change that.I know he does read this forum ...at least some of the time.

heretk replied to jc3737's response:
Yes, and the idea of "support" understood as only being in agreement is positively toxic to them! Not only a presence of contrarians is helpful, it is even essential! Very few can understand that!

You wrote that the support can come in many ways, presumably just in form of questioning. I would say more that that - the Real Support may even come in form of thrashing some old nonsense, even trolling! JC, Please undermine my high fat low carb nutrition, please do so using science, facts and examples. I hope you do. I can only benefit if you succeed and will also benefit if you don't. I promise to keep doing the same for you.

Without individuals like us ideas tend to degenerates into belief systems and then turn to cults. I think mcd'ers are quite advanced in that stage now. Paleos have just begun on the same path.

Best regards,
Heretic

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
It can become cult like very quicky especially if debate is shut down.Also a mechanistic approach may seem to work on on a practical level but as we know sometimes it goes deeper.A person can eat a perfect diet and still die early so there is some merit in saying when its your time to go its your time..

anon615 replied to heretk's response:
Sometimes you are absolutely evangelical in your desire to bring the good news of high fat low carb eating to to those poor lost souls at McDougall land. You must realize that people can find their way around the internet and find a different approach if they wanted to. Like the guys who come to your house and ask if you want your roof repaired or your driveway repaved. If I wanted either of those things I wouldn't wait for someone to knock on my door. I would do the research and find the best price and the most recommended business myself.

H, you would have been a fantastic addition to the old sci med nutrition group. There were some really great debates on that group. It was unmoderated and was ruined by spammers and advertisers and a few who used such terrible vulgar language that it just made me too uncomfortable to continue there. I think It might possibly still be around on the net.

dolores

jc3737 replied to anon615's response:
I don't think I know about that group.Can you post a link?

heretk replied to anon615's response:
Re: evangelical

You are to some extent correct but I am not about propagating or bringing any of the so-called "good news" . The last time somebody tried it, resulted in 2000 years of warfare. I don't care about a particular "good news", but I need to stir up some s..t to raise the general level of individualism, non-compliance and disobedience. I think I am succeeding.

hmmm. I have never known heretics to stir things up. I thought that was the province of the atheists.

To the person who asked, that group referred to is:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/

dolores

"Stirring" is a part of my job description!

No, atheists are very different from us heretics, they tend to sway towards fundamentalist skepticism and in that attitude they become very similar to their perceived "enemies".

Stan

I found this group on google:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/sci.med.nutrition

Looks interesting!

and you do your job very well!!

dolores

jc3737 replied to anon615's response:
"old sci med nutrition group. There were some really great debates on that group. It was unmoderated and was ruined by spammers and advertisers and a few who used such terrible vulgar language that it just made me too uncomfortable to continue there. I think It might possibly still be around on the net."

To the person who asked, that group referred to is:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/

???????????????

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.