Skip to content
vit D and Diabetes
jc3737 posted:
A study from Bulgaria shows that giving vitamin D supplements to diabetics during the winter markedly improved control of their blood sugar levels.
The majority of North Americans require sunlight to meet their needs for vitamin D because they do not meet their needs from the foods that they eat. Many people in temperate climates therefore are deficient in vitamin D by the end of winter. Lack of vitamin D impairs a person's immunity and ability to produce insulin and respond to insulin. This study shows that giving vitamin D pills to Type 2 diabetics during the winter improved control of blood sugar levels by increasing the first response of insulin from the pancreas to a rise in blood sugar, and by improving cell response to insulin. If this study can be confirmed, all diabetics should take vitamin D-rich foods or pills whenever they cannot get adequate exposure to sunshine.
The effect of vitamin D-3 on insulin secretion and peripheral insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic patients. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 2003, Vol 57, Iss 4, pp 258-261. AM Borissova, T Tankova, G Kirilov, L Dakovska, R Kovacheva. Borissova AM, Univ Hosp, Dept Endocrinol, 6 Damjan Gruev Str, Sofia 1303, BULGARIA

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.