Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
vit D

heretk responded:
Very interesting paper, thanks for posting it!

Quote:

"We speculate that adult vitamin D deficiency could exacerbate the progression of a wide range of other brain disorders such as multiple sclerosis, dementia, and depression."

Did you notice how prevalent is vitamin D defficiency among vegetarians, even in the southern states, and to some extent in the general population? I have seen also a paper that hypothesized a link between common vitamin D defficiency and the vitamin D blocking effects of a diet high in wheat, due to WGA (Wheat Germ Agluttins). This also agrees nicely with the observational data correlating wheat consumption with cardiovascular, diabetes and cancer (for example China Study data) - and the fact that D defficiency correlates with the same diseases.

It could also explain the therapeutic effect of the high animal fat diet against neurological diseases, not only MS (see those testimonials I posted last week) but also depression and schizophrenia (unpublished, private communication from a doctor I knew). The effect is probably compounded by four factors:
(1) direct benefit of animal fats (for example DHA, EPA, some of the SFA such as lauric acid etc) upon the neural cells,
(2) decreased glycemic load reducing the harmful effects of excessive glucose metabolism on neurons, especially pronounced in the presence of stress hormones (see my blog post on Sapolsky's lectures)
(3) direct supply of extra vitamin D3, - it is abundant in most animal fat-rich food, and last but probably not least:
(4) reduced consumption of WGA rich plant produce such as wheat and beans.
Best regards,H.

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
"Did you notice how prevalent is vitamin D defficiency among vegetarians, even in the southern states"

I am outside a great deal doing yard work,running,playing golf (in Tennessee)and still have low levels of vit D

I have had consistently low vit D levels but last check-up I was clinically low and had to start taking vit D3 daily.And Dolores mentioned she had low levels which may have led to her heart attack so I can see where vegans need to supplement with vit D3 as well as B12.

And yes I do have some reservations that a vegan diet is deficient in those areas and requires supplementation of B12 and vit D3.

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
More about the potato diet here....very interesting,especially the comments section.

http://stan-heretic.blogspot.com/2013/04/peasants-on-high-animal-fat-potato-diet.html

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.