Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Poland/Potato diet
jc3737 posted:
looks like the potato diet was a big success in Poland and Russia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1252113/pdf/biochemj01140-0284.pdf

Heretk responded:
Yes! Also, it says on the first page:

"The diet consisted of potatoes, supplemented with butter or pork fat with the addition of a few fruits (apples and pears); tea
or black coffee and sugar were also occasionally taken. The amount of fat consumed was not accurately estimated, it varied from 120-150 g. daily."

jc3737 replied to Heretk's response:
OK but then the bulk of calories came from potatoes....and doesn't Dr K say that the combination of a high fat and high carb diet is unhealthy....apparently not???

Are you not surprised that a high carb food like potatoes(as THE main staple) could be so healthy?

Heretk replied to jc3737's response:
Not really 150g of fat is 1300kcal, 1.5kg of potatoes is ~300g of starch which is 1200kcal. Their diet was over at or over 50% fat, while Kwasniewski's theory postulates that the danger zone is when fat is 35-45% of the total calories. So, this paper is indeed somewhat surprizing but not contradicting.

I do not believe that there is anything wrong with potatoes (or rice) for me, as long as it constitutes about 70g of carbs or less per day. I would not say the same for wheat. "Our daily bread give us..." - no thanks!

I have to conclude that Dr K was wrong about his ratio of mixing of carbs and fat theory.There would be massive problems throughout Asia if he was correct,since many add animal fat to the large load of carbs they eat.

May be. I have some doubt about that too but we should not dismiss it unless there are specific experimental data contradicting it. A lack of evidence (of harm) is not the evidence of absence. It as to be 35-45% fat calories, compared to both above 50% fat diet and to below 30% fat diet. It has to separate the age groups (below 20, 20-50 and above 50). Asian diets does not constitute the proof )of 35-45% zone) because it is very easy to have over 50% fat calories with green vegetables if you add even little bit of fatty pork and beef. For example, typical Korean meals I have seen (see my blog) would most likely be over 50% animal fat and probably 30% or less carbs. Paul Jaminet may have scored a point here. So much pork bellies and beef, very little rice. Lots of green veggies too. Same in Taiwan. Same in Okinawa.

I have several Korean firends and their meals are not over 50% fat.I don't think they come close to that.I have a great many Asian friends and many of the older ones still eat mostly the traditional diets(with some dilution)but the younger ones eat the SAD.My Korean friends are just visiting and will be returning to Korea this year.

This is a typical Korean restaurant meal I had with my business friends in Korea, although I do not know what they typically eat every day at home. In the middle is fatty bacon. The plate was refilled a few time (no it wasn't only me who was eating all this):

Very elaborate....not what they eat day to day...I have eaten on numerous occasions with my friends and they eat mostly noodles,rice and some other items but I do know they were not vegan or even vegetarian but their portions of animal products were below the typical western diets.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.