Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Barry Groves
jc3737 posted:
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/low-carb-high-fat-diet-guru-barry-groves-77-passes-away/18318

I know this is not scientific but since it came to mind I have to bring it up.Compare to Drs Campbell and Esse...both still healthy 80+ yr olds.

anon615 responded:
Well, JC, only a couple of years difference and the game isn't quite over yet. Mr. Groves died from cancer but I can't find which kind. For all we know he could have been exposed to asbestos.

If he had no heart and artery problems, no high blood pressure or blood sugar and he was not overweight then he must have been healthy for all those years.

Some of us have family members or friends who eat horrendously. I am not just talking about either paleo or vegan, but actual processed junk, and live forever. Others are very careful and succumb at a fairly young age.

We should have come with a manual.

dolores

jc3737 replied to anon615's response:
I suspect Dr Campbell would say the higher protein diet made him fertile ground for cancer.

"Some of us have family members or friends who eat horrendously. I am not just talking about either paleo or vegan, but actual processed junk, and live forever. Others are very careful and succumb at a fairly young age."

Maybe when your times up its up and diet does not really matter.A bike wreck and a broken hip can lead to an early death even if the diet is perfect which reinforces the idea that its not the material aspects of life that are most important

anon615 replied to jc3737's response:
Which re4minds me of Johnny Carson giving tips on how to stay healthy Like--don't run through the streets of Newark shouting, "I've got the goods on Big Louie."

dolores

Alipib responded:
When I cherry-pick people, I like to compare Nathan Pritikin who got cancer and committed suicide at a younger age to Wolfgang Lutz (author of Life Without Bread) who lived to be 97.

jc3737 replied to Alipib's response:
Alipib,You made your point.

I have the book you mention by Lutz...but trying to keep my carbs as low as he suggests did not work for me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.