Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
low cholesterol
jc3737 posted:
Heretic,Is this another benefit of low cholesterol?

"Considerable evidence supports the plausibility of an association between low cholesterol and reduced risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Several studies have reported an association between statin use and reduced risk of advanced or high-grade prostate cancer (15, 16). In addition, an inhibitory effect of low cholesterol on prostate cancer progression is biologically plausible. Laboratory evidence suggests that lowering cholesterol levels could inhibit cell-signaling pathways that are important for prostate cancer progression (17). This hypothesis is supported by experiments in mice in which lowering serum cholesterol with dietary modification or a cholesterol-lowering drug reduced the cholesterol content, size, and vascularity of human xenograft prostate tumors (18)".

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/18/11/2805.full [br>

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.