Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Check out the sunglasses
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

I don't only wear dark wrap around sunglasses only because I'm cool.

5 years ago, I learned at the Pritikin Center that sunlight was healthy for us. I realized that I got zero sunlight during the week. So I started running outdoors every day, 45-60 minutes, at noon. If it was above 60 degrees, I ran with only trunks. After 2 years of that, I turned out to have a Vitamin D blood level of 16, which is quite deficient, and well correlated with increased heart disease, cancer, depression, diabetes, etc. Above 30 is normal.

So, after 2 years of running outdoors at noon, my eye doctor said I had mild cataracts. OUCH! He said many doctors would recommend having them out, but he recommended watching them. THAT WAS THE LAST DAY I WENT INTO THE SUNSHINE WITHOUT DARK WRAP-AROUND SUN GLASSES.

I had been wearing photo gray glasses, which darken in the sunlight. The lenses are typical of the fashion now, not as large as the lenses of the 1970's. So, lots of light went around the glasses. I developed the cataracts in spite of the photo gray lenses.

After 1 more year of running outdoors with dark wrap around sun glasses (and switching to the Fuhrman diet), my doctor checked me again. He seem befuddled and confused. I asked him what causes cataracts. He said they didn't know. He never mentioned the cataracts again, BECAUSE THEY WENT AWAY.

I recommend that folks go into the sunlight with dark wrap around sun glasses.

For vitamin D, there is huge variation, person to person. A few people have normal vitamin D with occasional sunlight exposure. Many people, like me, do not make vitamin D from sunlight very well. The only way to know is from a simple blood test. The next time you get your cholesterol checked, check your vitamin D. Normal is 30-55, depending on which chart you look at. Most people need 2000 IU supplement to achieve this. I take 3000 IU, to get a D blood level of about 40. A few people need much more. We are all different.

OK, here's something from the American Academy of Ophthalmology "Overexposure to Sun's Rays Can Cause Painful, Temporary Blindness" This article also discusses cataracts, macular degeneration and more. Skin exposed to sun over years, usually becomes wrinkled and has cancer risk. Why would the eyes be immune?

http://www.aao.org/newsroom/release/20130603.cfm

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.