Skip to content
SFA
jc3737 posted:
I don't understand this at all????

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/98/3/677.abstract?etoc

algebragirl2 responded:
When you click on the link, you will get the abstract of the study. You can see (look to the right in the text displayed) that the PDF is available to print - or save. If you do that, and read the entire text of the study, you'll get lots more information.

One thing that jumps out (IMO, at least), from just reading the abstract, is that the study was done on insulin-resistant men and women. The study lasted 6 months.

The last sentence of the study's text reads:
'In the current study much of the saturated fat in the diet was provided by palm oil and milk fat rather than meat fats, and the MUFA was provided by high oleic sunflower oil. However, it may well be that sources of MUFA or PUFA used to replace animal fats in the diet may contain non-fatty acid components that influence endothelial function...' The last words mention a recent study that showed the beneficial effect of olive oil on reduction of stroke incidence. In other words, there's more to this story. All scientific studies mention their limitations.

It's also worth going to NCBI (the pubmed database - google 'NCBI' to find it) and actually searching for this abstract with the argument 'Sanders T' - then, when you call up the abstract, you will see, to the right, other studies/abstracts that address the same issues. This will start you on a process of following the current research to get some perspective.

Sounds complicated, but it doesn't take much time or effort, really. Yeah, reading the study's text may, but wandering through NCBI is very interesting and does not demand much effort to browse abstracts.

engineerguy replied to algebragirl2's response:
Hi AlgebraGirl2,

Great to make your acquaintance. And, your comments appear very technically capable.

Or names have a kind of similarity.

And, I see you just joined WebMD TODAY. Welcome aboard !!

I also spend time on the Fuhrman/Ornish board (1), but jc, Dolores, Heretic and others make the Diet Debate board hard to beat.

Oh, nice tips about the NCBI board.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

(1) http://exchanges.webmd.com/heart-health-fuhrman-ornish

jc3737 replied to algebragirl2's response:
"The replacement of SFAs with MUFAs or carbohydrates in healthy subjects does not affect vascular function"

Also,It does not mention what types of carbohydrates are used as replacement.

If the replacement carbs were whole foods like potatoes,or brown rice I would be very surprised to see no effect on vascular function.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.