Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The Queen of Fats
anon43 posted:
This book by science writer Susan Allport is about the beneficial effects of omega three fats, specifically fish oil. A diet in which the amount of omega sixes is low compared to the amount of omega threes produces the best health.

In it she writes that a high saturated fat diet is less harmful than a diet of polys because saturated fat does not compete with omega threes but the omega sixes do and this is what causes all kinds of problems including inflammation and heart disease. I assume this means that even on a high sat fat diet you would still need to get omega threes in your diet.

This got me wondering about the heart healthy Japanese diet. Perhaps they are healthy because they eat white rice, not in spite of it. White rice has had practically all the essential fatty acids milled out of it. Brown rice normally contains hundreds of times more omega sixes than threes. So I am speculating that eliminating that source of sixes along with the abundance of vegetables in the Japanese diet which may contain lots of alpha linolenic acid and adding the omega three filled fish that is part of their diet gives them the health advantage. However, if they cook with omega six oils I guess all bets are off.

She also mentions eating grass fed animals instead of corn fed animals as being health promoting but New Zealand only produces grass fed cattle and they have a high rate of heart disease.

I wish some others would read this book.

dolores

jc3737 responded:
"Perhaps they are healthy because they eat white rice, not in spite of it. White rice has had practically all the essential fatty acids milled out of it. Brown rice normally contains hundreds of times more omega sixes than threes"

I don't know but I would guess the amount of sixes in brown rice would be very low....so low it may be almost unmeasurable.(just a guess)

As you know from Dr McDougall the benefits of fish and fish oil are questionable.I'm taking some limited fish oil but since I'm not sure about it I am not all in.I know it reduces trigylcerides but then if they are only the result of some formula and are not really fat in the blood I'm not sure I need to worry about it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.