Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
saturated fat diet
jc3737 posted:
  • Atherosclerosis and Lipoproteins
  • Flow-Mediated Dilatation Is Impaired by a High—Saturated Fat Diet but Not by a High-Carbohydrate Diet
    1. Jennifer B. Keogh ,
    2. Jessica A. Grieger ,
    3. Manny Noakes ,
    4. Peter M. Clifton
    + Author Affiliations
    1. [a id=aff-1 name=aff-1> From CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide BC, South Australia.
    1. Correspondence to Dr Peter Clifton, CSIRO HSN, Gate 13 Kintore Ave, (PO Box 10041 BC), Adelaide SA 5000, Australia. E-mail peter.clifton@csiro.au
    Next Section AbstractObjective— It is unknown whether a low-fat diet, which may elevate triglycerides and lower high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, harms the endothelium. Our aim was to determine whether a low-fat, high-carbohydrate (CARB) diet impaired endothelial vasodilation compared with high saturated fat (SFA), monounsaturated fat (MUFA), or polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) diets.
    Methods and Results— Forty healthy subjects were randomly crossed over to 4, 3-week isocaloric diets high in PUFA, MUFA, or SFA, containing at least 25 g of the relevant fat or a low-fat, CARB, high—glycemic load diet. Flow-mediated dilatation (FMD), fasting blood lipids, high sensitivity C-reactive protein, plasma intercellular, and vascular adhesion molecules plasma E- and P-selectin were measured after each intervention. SFA impaired FMD compared with all other diets (5.41±2.45% versus 10.80±3.69%; P=0.01). FMD did not change on CARB relative to MUFA or PUFA, despite 23% to 39% rises in triglyceride and 10% to 15% falls in HDL cholesterol. P-selectin was highest after SFA (121±52.7 ng/mL) versus MUFA (98±44.5 ng/mL; P=0.001) and PUFA (96±36.4 ng/mL; P=0.001).
    Conclusion— High SFA caused deterioration in FMD compared with high PUFA, MUFA, or CARB diets. Inflammatory responses may also be increased on this diet.

heretk responded:
    This paper is irrelevant because both diets under study were high carb diets and the amount of fat added was only 25g. They just studied the effect of adding fat to a high carbohydrate high insulinemic diets. Adding fat if you already consume high amount of carbs is bad for you. Duh!

H.

anon9876 replied to heretk's response:
    H, I had a hard time understanding what was in the paper. It looked like either a high fat diet OR a high carb diet.

dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
    You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    29 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.