Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GERD and low carb
jc3737 posted:
Can GERD be treated with a low carb diet?
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/gerdacid-reflux/gerd-treat-low-high-carb-diet/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+drmikenutritionblog+%28The+Blog+of+Michael+R.+Eades%2C+M.D.%29

anon9876 responded:
If this guy was eating the SAD I am sure a change would be an improvement. My nephew, a protein scarfing body builder, is plagued by gerd and other gastrointestinal problems of which endoscopy and biopsy failed to discover the cause. So he is on nexium or something similar.

Many on Fuhrman and McDougall diets report that symptoms of gerd disappeared on those diets.

dolores

jc3737 replied to anon9876's response:
From what I can tell gastrointestinal problems are resolved almost 100% of the time on a low carb diet....but certain types of carbs that are quickly absorbed also do not give bacteria time to overgrow in the intestines like the whole grains do.A great many on the McDougall diet still have serious digestive issues but a low carb diet appears to take care of this.

Here is the problem.....processed quick absorbing grains(may help with digestive issues) but raise the risk of diabetes and a low carb diet that has lots of fat raises the risk of heart disease.I suspect Heretic will disagree with that last statement.

But it does appear a low carb diet will cure digestive problems.

Heretic....your take?

anon9876 replied to jc3737's response:
You don't think whole grains raise the risk of diabetes, right? everything I have read says the opposite. And I thought it was common knowledge that fat causes insulin resistance. Have you seen Plant Positive's #35 and #36 videos on how to become insulin resistant. This is nothing new. Pritikin wrote the same thing more than 20 years ago in his first book.

dolores

anon9876 replied to anon9876's response:
I didn't make that clear. Whole grains do not raise the risk of diabetes. If they did then people in parts of the world where whole grains are staples would have lots of diabetes, and they don't . Even the refined rice eaten in asia has not produced diabetics.

dolores

Dolores,You changed topics on me....I was talking about whole grains causing more digestive problems than quicker absorbing grains like white bread.

I garee that whole grains are better when it comes to blood glucose/diabetes risk.

The article I posted only dealt with digestive issues GERD etc....not with blood glucose issues.

And many on the McDouall diet do not have a problem with GERD,and for some their digestion improves on the McDougall diet,but then many McDougallers do have digestive problems and GERD....and this article was saying that a low carb diet will cure those problems very close to 100% of the time.

anon9876 replied to jc3737's response:
JC, I asked about gerd on the McD Group. Did any find that gerd did not abate when using the high starch diet. I only got an couple of answers but one person says that gerd often goes away when you lose weight so if people with gerd lost weight on low carb perhaps that is why the problem disappeared. Some wrote that their gerd disappeared when they started either Fuhrman or McD. No one wrote in to say that they got worse or developed the problem but that does not mean they are not out there.

dolores

Dolores,I check in on the McDougall site once or twice a week and I have posted on it before..Over the years I remember a large number of people complaining about GERD and digetive problems....and I have trouble with GERD if I am not very careful.

my diet...brown rice,beans,potatoes,steamed vegetables.flax seed.3 nuts

I am not able to tolerate vegetables that have higher levels of sugar such as carrots,onions,and many other vegetables.I now limit my vegetables to only greens and mushrooms.

However at times I am not as sensitive to small amounts of sugar and can include some more nuts and berries.

Sonce I have this problem with GERD I have paid particular attention to the posts on digestive problems and there have been many over the years.

max9821 replied to jc3737's response:
I do know that some write of their sensitivity or allergy to certain foods. Eliminating them solves the problem. It is also true that others testify to eliminating digestive problems when departing from low carb. You can't ignore someone else's experience. They know what they can eat and what they can't eat. What bothers me is someone either denying that someone else has a problem or thinking that because they can't eat certain food that everyone can't eat it. I can't eat avocado or kiwi. I do not think they are universally troublesome foods. I also didn't realize I was lactose intolerant until I stopped eating dairy foods.

dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.