Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bladder infections from Chicken
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

This is an amazing article on bacterial contamination from chicken, especially. This is also a strong argument to stop the insane feeding of antibiotics daily to billions of animals in the USA. How could you better breed superbugs, you know, the flesh eating bugs that are antibiotic resistant?

http://nutritionfacts.org/2014/01/28/how-avoiding-chicken-could-prevent-bladder-infections/

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

jc3737 responded:
Good article...Maybe this will help convince some of my relatives that fish and chicken are not healthy alternatives to red meat.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

I noticed that my local supermarket carries antibiotic free chicken. I didn't check the price difference. Of course, most of the meat is the fabulous factory farm variety.

I have been a life-long Republican, but I am ashamed of my party for siding with the factory farms, illogically voting down the bills each year or 2, that would prohibit antibiotic in the feed in the factory farms.

We, as consumers, have to spread the word, to promote antibiotic free animals. Big business is essential to our high standard of living, but their interests are not necessarily our interests.

max9821 replied to engineerguy's response:
I read that eighty percent of organically raise chicken are contaminated with salmonella as opposed to about 100% of factory chickens. Does not giving antibiotics mean a chicken is salmonella free. And how is the chicken handled at the market? Sitting on the butcher's tray next to the factory chicken. And are the antibiotic free chickens farmed in any way that would preclude salmonella infection?

dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
I stopped feeding my cat chicken and started giving him ground meat.I did not want it in the house...Dr Gregers warnings not to bring chicken into the house.I get e mails with all his updates,videos etc.

I have read that cats need a diet of 90% or better meat so I feed my cat ground meat(instead of cat food).Its actually cheaper than canned cat food.I get it on sale at Wal Mart for $2.72 a package that lasts 4-5 days,

engineerguy replied to max9821's response:
Hi Dolores,

Not giving antibiotics in the daily feed of factory farm animals, means several things.

1) The factory farm where the antibiotic free animals are raised, are no longer antibiotic resistant bacteria breeding houses. The CDC is very concerned about antibiotic resistant bacteria, which are created by factory farms (some superbugs have been genetically traced to factory farms) and over-prescribing antibiotics to people. Not over-prescribing antibiotics to people, is serious business. For example, during a cholera epidemic, the standard medical protocol for cholera treatment, is NOT to prescribe antibiotics for the first week. Most light cases resolve themselves. The fear is that an antibiotic resistant strain of cholera could develop, which would be very bad.

2) The bacteria on the animal is much less likely to be antibiotic resistant. I am not sure what an organic chicken is, but you read that 80% of them have salmonella (which is better than 100% on ordinary factory farmed chicken). So maybe less likely to have salmonella, but still quite likely. Still have to have great care for hygiene, while cooking.

3) The factory farm has to have a bit better conditions for the animal. A bit less living bathed in the feces of the other animals. Better feed. Otherwise, the death rate from disease, will be too high. Maybe the quality of the meat will be a bit better?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.