Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
potatoes
jc3737 posted:
Fasting and postprandial plasma free amino acids of infants and children consuming exclusively potato protein. Lopez de Romaña G , MacLean WC Jr , Placko RP , Graham GG . Abstract
Fasting and postprandial plasma free amino acids were studied in nine children on the 9th day of consumption of a diet in which potato protein provided all nitrogen at a marginal level of protein intake (5.03-5.10% protein-calories). The analysis of the potato utilized indicated that 49% of total amino acids (TAA) were free amino acids (AA) and 40% essential amino acids (EAA). Fasting values of TAA and total essential amino acids (TEAA) and the ratios of EAA/TEAA were similar to those obtained previously with milk or casein diets. The low percentage of protein-calories in the diet and relatively poor nitrogen absorption of the potato were reflected in a low (0.236) fasting TEAA/TAA ratio. Met/TEAA and Trp/TEAA ratios were significantly (P less than 0.05) but not markedly lower 3 hours postprandially compared to fasting values, returning to the initial levels 4 hours postprandially. Thr/TEAA ratio was significantly higher (p less than 0.05) at 3 hours but not so at 4 hours. The results suggest that potato protein has an adequate ratio of TEAA/TAA and the balance among individual EAA concentrations should be able to meet the EAA requirements of growing infants and small children if fed and absorbed in sufficient amounts to meet total nitrogen needs.
PMID: 7288499 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE> Free full text

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.