Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
do older women need more protein?
jc3737 posted:
My wife thinks so,but doesn't more protein lead to more cancer and kidney disease?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/99/4/891.abstract?etoc

max9821 responded:
I don't understand how they can come to conclusions based on a test whose validity they say is uncertain. But by all means continue to do studies. With methods of which you are more certain.

What was the BMI of the women? What would it be measuring the weight in pounds? I will have to look that up. We do not know, do we, the state of the health of these women. In my mom's last years she hardly ate anything and was most happy with ice cream and potato chips. She had dementia so we pleased her as best we could. So it is likely that the group of women studied might not have had healthy eating habits regardless of what foods might be available.

I would wait for studies with methods that the researchers are more certain will accurately predict these requirements. And don't forget, the World Health Organization sets requirements even lower than the oft quoted 0.8 calories of protein per Kg body weight. At one time it was thought that undernourished children in some parts of the world who were being fed about 700 calories per day needed more protein in their diets of cereals. It turned out that they got adequate protein from the grains they were eating if they got adequate calories.

dolores

max9821 responded:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/testing-your-diet-with-pee-purple-cabbage/

It seems from this greger video that one might assume that for older women, a lifetime of eating meat and generating an acidic environment, causes depletion of muscle mass. To increase animal protein then would, in this case, worsen, not fix the problem. Plants and plant protein on the other hand produce an alkaline environment and preserve muscle mass. So perhaps older women do not need more meat because they are more likely to lose muscle mass but lose muscle mass because they are eating meat. So it seems that the last thing you need is more meat. Plant protein does not do this.

dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
"a lifetime of eating meat and generating an acidic environment,"

Eating meat is likley not good for you but it does not create an alkaline environment.That is not the reason meat is unhealthy.

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
I agree most people get way to much protein....I get a minimal amount of protein.

max9821 replied to jc3737's response:
you mean acidic environment? I have seen in my family that the older and frailer a person gets the less he eats. So more protein may be in order. Does it have to be animal protein.

didi

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
I could have said either one because the body is self regulating and food does not make the environment either acidic or basic.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.