http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/health/24brod.html?_r=0

max9821 responded:
because?

dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
this what Dr McDougall says
"

"Excess Protein Causes Diseases of Over-nutrition

Unlike fat, protein cannot be stored. When it is consumed in excess of our needs, protein is broken down mostly by the liver, and partly by the kidneys and muscles. Consumption in excess of our needs overworks the liver and kidneys, and can cause accumulation of toxic protein byproducts.

Proteins are made of amino acids, and are, therefore, acidic by nature. Animal proteins are abundant in sulfur-containing amino acids which break down into very powerful sulfuric acid. These kinds of amino acids are abundant in hard cheese, red meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs, and their acids must be neutralized by buffers found in the bones. The bones dissolve to release the buffering materials; eventually resulting in a condition of weakened bones, known as osteoporosis. Released bone materials often settle and coalesce in the kidney system, causing kidney stones. Fruits and vegetables are largely alkaline, preserving bone health and preventing kidney stones.13 (A more detailed discussion of the health consequences from excess protein is found in my January 2004 newsletter article: Protein Overload.)

Diseases of over-nutrition are directly connected to planet health, too. Recommendations to eat animal foods for protein have resulted in an environmental catastrophe. Livestock produces 18% of the greenhouse gases; these food-animals occupy 26 percent of the ice-free surface of the Earth and 33 percent of the total arable land is used to produce their food. One telling tragedy is they account for the deforestation of 70 percent of Amazon rainforests, which act as the "lungs of the Earth."14 (A more detailed discussion of the environmental damage from livestock is found in my December 2006 newsletter article: An Inconvenient Truth: We Are Eating Our Planet To Death.)"
here is the correction to his statement

This is as close as he got to the facts. It is true that an excess of protein can put more of a strain on the liver and kidneys. Especially the kidneys, which is one of the reasons the US has such as high incidence of kidney disease. Americans tend to consume way too much protein and fail to drink enough water. This leads to less of a conversion of uric acid, a protein breakdown product, in to urea. If this occurs the non-hydrolyzed uric acid can pass through the kidneys as sharp crystals cutting up the kidney tissue leading to kidney disease.
I have also talked to people who could not control their body odor. When their diet was checked I found that they were consuming excessive amounts of protein. A breakdown product of the amino acids in protein is ammonia. This not only puts a strain on the liver, but ammonia is highly toxic to the brain as well. So the body does what it can to process the ammonia or otherwise eliminate it. Most of the ammonia is converted back in to uric acid, which is hydrolyzed in to urea and passed off as urine. In excess the ammonia compounds can be excreted through the skin where they react with bacteria on the skin releasing the ammonia, and thus creating more body odor.
Protein is also harder for the body to break down than carbohydrates or fats requiring much more energy to process. This is why high protein meals can make us tired and reduce our energy levels.

continued next post

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
When I used to race and do cross country bicycling I had all the energy in the world as long as my diet was primarily carbohydrates. I ate a lot of pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. and rarely touched meat. I was healthy and had more energy than I knew what to do with. If I started on meat after about three days I would be so sluggish that I could hardly exercise. When I went back on my high carb diet my energy returned. Of course I would not recommend this unless you are doing some serious training. But I definitely found out first hand how much a high protein diet could slow me down.
As far as the claim that proteins are made up of amino acids and thus are acidic by nature, this is outright wrong. In fact, I could take his statement and using his same reasoning state that amino acids are made up ammonia and thus are alkaline by nature. Or it could be argued that plants should be avoided as well since they also contain proteins. in fact, some plants such as chlorella and bee pollen are higher in amino acids than beef.

I also disagree with the claim that the sulfur bearing amino acids produce sulfuric acid. First of all sulfuric acid is highly corrosive and would turn your tissues to charcoal. Secondly, sulfur is very abundant in our diet, including numerous plants. Does he think that eating garlic and onions also generate sulfuric acid due to their high sulfur content?

The claim that protein leads to bone loss is also somewhat misleading. Some protein sources are known for leading to bone loss, such as beef and dairy, but this is due to the high phosphorus content, not the protein content. In fact, the bones are one of the last buffers used to control acidity in the body. Respiration is the primary pH balancer for the body. Bicarbonate and the kidneys are also major pH regulators. So there would have to be a major breakdown in the buffering system in order for the acids produced from protein to break down bones. So the whole acids from diet leading to bone loss for the most part is a myth

The posted responce above is from James Sloane.I posted on his site to ask if the acid bone loss theory was right.

here is his site

http://medcapsules.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1

max9821 replied to jc3737's response:
jc, it looks like this guy is just another supplement salesman.

dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
Thats not what this guy is about....unlike Dr Becker he is even less self promoting than Dr McDougall.His science is spot on every time I have checked it out.

When I check out Dr OZ or Dr Becker I find they are dead wrong on the science as much as they are right,but this guy has yet to make a mis statement.(that I have found)

I disagree with his conclusions much of the time as he is against a total low fat vegan diet. He is against meat and pro carbs for the most part much like way most traditional cultures eat.....not totally vegan but mostly plant based.

But not a self promoter....a good bit less than even Dr Mc and light years less than Dr Fuhrman....not that there is anything wrong with some self promotion,after all we do operate in a capatilitist society.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.