Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

sodium
    jc3737 posted:
    Why does a low sodium diet work for many people and yet several studies show that a low sodium diet is not healthy?

My best guess is that low sodium diets are also low iodine diets.I would like to see studies of low sodium diets with iodine supplementation.

I am unable to tolerate sodium as my blood pressure rises when i get any amount that even approaches 1000mg.

I have low renin (salt sensitive)hypertension......but it is well controlled on a low fat vegan diet with severe salt/sodium restriction.

jc3737 responded:
    http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/54/2/203.full

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
    this study shows the opposite.....higher levels of salt lowers mortality

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21747015

max9821 replied to jc3737's response:
    All the pundits spend so much time on fat that I wish more would address the salt question. I even read one article a while ago that said that it was salt, not fat that caused artery blockages. It is unlikely that those eating lots of fat are on a very low salt diet too.

dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
    The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    12 of 29 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.