Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
goitrigens
jc3737 posted:
A problem with low sodium diets is that goitrogens may be more likley to damage the thyroid.Goitrogens like cabbage are probably not a problem if we get enough iodine but when deficient in iodine goitrogens can cause a problem.

Cooking does help but only a little bit....deactivaying about 1/3 of the thyrodid damaging effects(iodine blocking)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?pfriendly=1&tname=george&dbid=250

jc3737 responded:
"Impact of Cooking on Isoflavones and IsothiocyanatesAlthough research studies are limited in this area, cooking does appear to help inactivate both isoflavones (commonly found in soy foods) and isothiocyanates (commonly found in cruciferous vegetables). These compounds appear to be heat-sensitive, and cooking appears to lower their availability. In the case of isothiocyanates in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, as much as one third of this goitrogenic substance may be deactivated when broccoli is boiled in water."

max9821 replied to jc3737's response:
I eat tons of cooked broccoli and brussels sprouts. My TSH has been climbing. I do not use salt from the salt shaker so I guess I am low in iodine. Also eat the other leafy goitrogens. I wonder if taking half a teaspoon of dulse would help?

dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
I take an iodine supplement ...but be careful to only take 150 mcg....the daily requirement.....potassium iodide ...it seems to work fine.

heretk replied to max9821's response:
If you look through McD and other vegan forums, you may notice that thyroid dysfunction is one of the most common complaint! Please note that the hypo and hyper-thyroidism is by itself a heart disease risk factor, it adds up and compounds the risk factors of metabolic syndrome or pre-diabetes.

Cabbage family of plant (cabbage, brussels, cauliflower, broccoli etc) are the known goitrogens (= thyroid disruptors). Beans family of plants are another goitrogens, especially soy.

Once you eliminate those out of your diet then what is left? Potatoes and rice only?

I am sorry to say, but none of what you and other vegans do makes any sense to me!

Regards,
Heretic.

jc3737 replied to heretk's response:
I have noticed thyroid problems are more common with vegans,due to goitrogens and lack of sufficient iodine.If you go on a low sodium diet and don't eat processed junk food(loaded with salt)then it becomes even more of a problem.I think iodine supplementation is as necessary as B-12 supplementation for vegans.

Goitrigens(even very large amounts) are not a problem as long as one gets sufficient iodine.

I'm happy to see you added "to me" in your last line.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.