Skip to content
cure for high triglycerides
jc3737 posted:
a cure for high triglycerides

http://ang.sagepub.com/content/54/4/411.abstract

bigred53 responded:
Does it have to be Persian walnut oil or would any good quality walnut oil work?

Thanks for sharing this.

Michelle

jc3737 replied to bigred53's response:
Hi Michelle,I but don't know but I don't think so.I tried it and it worked for me...it reduced my triglycerides about 30....and I just used regular walnut oil from California.Many of the plant based doctors like John McDougall,Dr Barnard,and Dr Esselstyn think all oils are harmful to our health,but Joel Fuhrman says there is no scientific evidence to suggest plant based fats are harmful.

bigred53 replied to jc3737's response:
Thanks. I'm going to give it a try. My triglycerides have been a thorn in my side for years. I can't take stations so my doctor has had me on zetia and trilipix. I haven't had any problems with the zetia except for the copay - $50 a month is ridiculous imo. The trilipix causes my internal plumbing to back up and my BC to become too high. I'm pretty much willing to try anything. I know I could further improve my diet and I am losing weight. Exercise is difficult as my legs get numb with much walking. Good old sciatica so my doctor says.

I lurk here often and have learned a lot from all of you.

Thanks again!

Michelle

If you have arthritis Dr McDougall says oils could be a bad thing....he is against all oils in general..If you follow the McDougall diet carefully it might take care of you cholesterol problem.I know it will lower blood pressure and blood glucose.

My use of walnut oil is a recent thing so I have not fully evaluated its use....before that I was on a strict McDougall diet but low sodium,3 nuts per day and one tbs of freshly ground flax seed.

Here is what Dr McDougall has to say about arthritis and oils:
"
My 36-years of seeing patients, along with many scientific papers , has lead me to the conclusion that a healthy low fat, vegan diet (the McDougall Diet, for example) dramatically improves and in most cases cures inflammatory arthritis. The diet consumed cannot simply be "vegan" (without animal foods). Meals must be based around unrefined starches with the addition of vegetables and fruits. Vegetable oils (olive, corn, canola, flaxseed, etc.) are strictly forbidden.
When patients first start, I usually recommend that they follow the basic McDougall Diet without wheat or soy foods. (This request is made only for general health reasons because it eliminates refined flours found in breads and cereals, and processed soybeans, including fake meats and cheeses.) A gluten-free diet (no wheat, barley, or rye) is a next reasonable step for anyone not achieving rapid improvements from the basic McDougall Diet. A few people will have to follow the stricter McDougall Elimination Diet (see below). A temporary water-only fast maintained for a few days is the ultimate dietary restriction and is a final step I have resorted to for a few difficult patients.
Benefits for arthritis usually begin to appear within four to seven days of strict adherence to the new diet regime. This is the amount of time required for the bowels to eliminate all of the foods previously consumed. After the remnants of unhealthy foods are emptied from the intestines, the animal-food-derived protein antigens slowly clear out of the bloodstream over the next few days. Products of inflammation, such as the antibodies attacking the body's own tissues, may persist for weeks. Complete resolution of active disease may take as long as four months; only then can the full benefits be appreciated from following the new diet therapy.
Unfortunately, small indiscretions often result in big penalties. That error could be a tiny bite of cheese or a bowlful of oily vegetables. One of my patients had been free of all of her arthritis pain and swelling for four months when she ventured out to a Chinese restaurant. The food served may have been vegan, but the peapods and sprouts were drowning in peanut oil and swimming with questionable ingredients. The next day she was in my office with both knees red, hot, and swollen."

Wow! I've got the dreaded Arthur. I've read that fish oil can help. I know that refined sugars cause inflammation.

I don't eat a lot of meat. Usually a little chicken with salad for dinner. I do eat fat free Greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese while at work. I also have a serving of pistachios daily during the week.

I've been off blood pressure meds since last August with my doctor's blessing. I'm sure it's due to losing weight more than anything else.

I know I need to eat more vegetables and I've been trying. Fruit wise I eat mostly berries of some kind.

I'm also type 2 diabetic in pretty good control. My most recent A1c was 5.6 down from 5.9.

I'm trying to improve but the habits of a lifetime are difficult to change. One step/day at a time. I do fall off my health wagon more than I'd like. Compared to last year I feel I've improved quite a bit.

Thanks!

Michelle

Do you eat greens several times a day?I have raw green leaf lettuce at every meal along with some steamed collard greens.

Yes, but not usually leafy greens. I've been pondering all weekend how I'm going to do that. I don't do much cooking anymore but raw is not a problem for me. I'm going to get some frozen veggies, that way I can nuke them for a minute or so to just warm them up a bit. I love spinach with a splash of vinegar. Collards - greens of any kind - are yummy. I'm not one of those picky eaters. That's been a big part of my life long weight problem.

I've been eating a lot of sugar snap peas, celery and cucumbers the last few months - I like the crunch. Keeps me away from chips...lol.

Thanks!!

Michelle

engineerguy replied to bigred53's response:
Hi BigRed53,

Glad to see the lively conversation and improvements in health.

Hi jc,

I saw the reference on Persian walnut oil and triglycerides.

Re: "Many of the plant based doctors like John McDougall, Dr Barnard, and Dr Esselstyn think all oils are harmful to our health, but Joel Fuhrman says there is no scientific evidence to suggest plant based fats are harmful."

With all due respect, a clarification. Joel Fuhrman is in complete agreement that vegetable oils are harmful. Walnuts are good; walnut oil is bad.

How much stuff is in flaxseed that is not in flaxseed oil? If we eat flaxseed without grinding it, it passes right through. The tough seed wall protects the flaxseed oil from oxidizing going rancid. If we have flaxseed oil, we do not get everything else that was in the flaxseed, and the oil is starting to go rancid immediately. Randomized double blind studies suggest that flaxseed is beneficial for breast and prostate cancer. (1) (2) Flaxseed oil is not.

Many studies have shown that vegetable oils similar to olive oil, increase HDL, but, for green monkeys that signed their little informed concent forms, the increased HDL did not translate to reduced athersclerosis upon atopsy. The atherosclerosis with vegetable oils was equal to that of saturated fat.

In my opinion, you are likely better off with 17% increased triglycerides and no walnut oil. Eat some assorted nuts and seeds, max 1 oz if weight is a concern (for those reading).

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

(1) breast cancer and flaxseed
http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/breast-cancer-fighting-breast-cancer-with-flaxseeds.html

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/flaxseeds-breast-cancer-survival-clinical-evidence/

(2) prostate cancer and flaxseed
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/17/12/3577.long

engineerguy replied to engineerguy's response:
Hi BigRed53,

Vinegar

Vinegar is very healthy. You can google lots of health benefits from it. It contributes to an alkaline metabolism, interestingly. It is a strong acid, but the Krebs cycle converts it to alkaline, as the acidity goes into CO2.

One problem with vinegar. For years, I used vinegar as a salad dressing. I got several cavities that seemed different than any I had previously. I had pits in the teeth, instead of a little spots where the dentist's pick would find the tooth soft.

Some people have issues with orange juice being acid enough to cause cavities. vinegar absolutely can cause cavities if the tooth is soaked in vinegar, in an experiment. I believe I had several cavities due to vinegar. So, vinegar is great as an ingredient in a recipe, but not straight undiluted.

Fluoride

A Scientific American article said that fluoride has the strongest benefit to the teeth, when the fluoride and saliva mix, and bathe the teeth.

If you get prescription fluoride toothpaste, which is generic $8 for about 1 oz, the instructions are to brush thoroughly, spit thoroughly, and do not eat or drink for 30 minutes. Interestingly, this high strength prescription fluoride toothpaste has only 4 times as much fluoride as regular toothpaste.

If you get ACT fluoride mouthwash, the instructions are to rinse with the mouthwash thoroughly, spit thoroughly, and do not eat or drink for 30 minutes.

So, each time we brush our teeth, brush thoroughly. spit thoroughly. Do not rinse with water. Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes. This has helped greatly, to eliminate cavities.

Where did fluoride come from? Dentists in some Colorado mining towns, noticed that nobody had cavities. After some research, it was found that the town water supply naturally has 12 ppm fluoride. The fluoride tended to mineralize the tooth enamel, similar to calcium, but the fluoride was more resistant to cavities. The only side effect was fluoridosis, where some children had white lines or yellow blotches in their teeth. No elevated cancer or any other problem has been associated with these towns with 12 ppm natural fluoride water.

I recommended that we spit thoroughly after brushing, but not rinse with water. Is this safe? We do not want to significantly elevate the fluoride we drink. Note that most towns have fluoride drinking water, which has 1 ppm fluoride. So I did some calculations. I checked Colgate regular toothpaste, which lists 0.15% w/v fluoride. (0.76% sodium monofluoride.) The toothpaste nozzle is 8mm dia. Roughly 1 inch of toothpaste has the fluoride of 8 glasses of water (8 oz, 1 ppm fluoride). Try an experiment. Rinse with water. Then put a tiny spot of toothpaste on your brush, perhaps less than 1mm length pushed from the tube. Brushing makes lots of "suds". You can spit out a great deal of suds. Most of it is spit out. Yet 1 inch of toothpaste would be equal to the fluoride in 8 glasses of wafer. So, my recommendation would be a small increase in fluoride consumed, compared to normal fluoridated water supply.

(This is an issue where I disagree with Dr. Fuhrman. Dr. Fuhrman says we don't know enough about Fluoride. Fluoride greatly reduces cavities, and if we swallow a small amount, compared to drinking 8 glasses of water daily, at 1 ppm, we are safe.)

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
I stand corrected about Dr fFhrmans stance on oils.I reread some of what he says in Eat to Live and Super Immunity and it seems his main issue with the oils is that it adds extra calories without nutrients.The harm comes from the weight gain....right?

But I need to gain weight so is it necessarily harmful to me?

Walnut oil has been shown in some studies to have a positive effect on the endothelium so its possible they may be in a different category from most other vegetable oils.

I can only eat a limited amount of nuts and beans due to the sugar content and the fermentation they cause.But Ill try increasing the number of walnuts to three per day(each meal)and give up the oil.I also eat one brazil nut for the selenium... and one almond....per day.....and a very few pumpkin seeds (for the zn)....also one tablespoon of freshly ground flax seed.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.