Skip to content
triglycerides
jc3737 posted:
How bad are triglycerides.Many on the McDougall diet have elevated triglycerides.some say this elevation is harmless as long as you pass the plate test and stay on the diet.

My triglycerides were elevated (250) and adding one tablespoon of walnut oil brought them doen to 197.

this research links triglycerides to elevated cardio risk....but how much is the elevated risk....is it significant to really be concerned about or is the elevation of risk minor?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17635890

engineerguy responded:
Hi jc,

In my opinion, overall you are doing very well. But we all realize that my opinion is not what actually counts.

Notice that the HR values (Hazard Ratio) are much higher than the aHR values (multifactorially adjusted HRs). As an example, suppose one group with high triglycerides has twice as many heart attacks, compared to the lowest triglyceride group. This means the MI HR (Myocardial Infarction Hazard Ratio) = 2. But the people with higher triglycerides also tend to other elevated risk factors, like higher cholesterol, weight, blood pressure, LDL, C reactive protein, etc etc. Using statistical methods to try to see the affect of triglycerides, after accounting for the other factors, statisticians get an adjusted Hazard Ratio (aHR) for triglycerides alone. In one example in the abstract, a HR of 2.1 had an aHR of 1.3, which is much lower.

Of course, increased statistical adjustments for other factors, reduces the statistical power of the study. In other words, if they had millions of people in the study, they would have great statistical strength, and the conclusions would be better supported. In this study, generally the trend P value was < .001. This means that the P (Probability) that overall trend is actually random, that triglycerides really had no affect on health, was less than 1 in 1000.

What I am suggesting is that your other risk factors are excellent. Your triglycerides are not very high. In my opinion, your overall risk profile is very good.

Your efforts to prevent GERD, are very important. As I recall, you have found by trial and error that potatoes give you no problem. We all suspect that the emphasis on the high glycemic index potato is the cause of the mildly elevated triglycerides.

As a suggestion, you could try eating a salad before meals, to eliminate GERD.

Another idea to ensure drinking adequate water with a meal. For some reason, I can get a feeling that may or may not be heartburn after a meal, and a glass of water fixes it up. An apple might be associated with this issue, for me.

You tried Beano, with no benefit. The package says to take 2-3 tablets. Have you tried 4 Beano tablets, to see if that helps? When I was lactose intolerant, the package said take 1-2 tablets. That did nothing for me, since I apparently made no lactase at all. 3 tablets worked for me if I had a very small amount of lactose, say one slice of white bread with whey. But 4 tablets were wonderful, and allowed me to eat 3 deserts within about 5 or 10 minutes. (Gluttony, anyone?) The pill has to be taken with the first bite of the food.

16 months after I took vitamin D to cure my vitamin D deficiency, and also changed from 6 meals a day to 3 meals a day, I was amazed to see that I was no longer lactose intolerant. At all. For the last 6 years now, I am not lactose intolerant, after carrying the lactase pills for almost 30 years. And yes, I am certain that I was severely lactose intolerant, after 30 years, certainly over a thousand times, having painful diahrrea when I mistakenly ate something with lactose, without taking the pills.

I recall that you have verified that your vitamin D is good, with a blood test. Great.

You could try 2 or 3 meals a day, without snacks. This might have been a factor in my reversal from lactose intolerance.

How do you feel overall? Do I recall correctly that you do not feel like you are thriving? That is a clue that something is wrong, just as you have been suspecting, if I recall correctly.

Dr. Fuhrman occasionally has patients that do not thrive on the vegan diet. He gives them blood tests to check for deficiencies, and taurine sometimes comes up as deficient. Dr. Fuhrman suggested 1000 mg of taurine a day for those folks, and most of them would then thrive. A very few needed to eat an oz of meat daily, to thrive.

--- continued sorry ;-(

engineerguy replied to engineerguy's response:
continued ...

For myself, after 5 years of eating 0 to 6 oz animal products total per week, I was making mistakes at work. I decided to try 500mg Taurine in the morning, and 500mg before my workout. I believe my memory has improved, and workouts have improved. The brain has lots of taurine in it, as do muscles. Taurine is not one of the 8 essential amino acids (proteins). That means the body can make taurine from the 8 essential amino acids. Either I don't make it as well as other people, or I need more. At any rate, $20 buys 6 months worth of Taurine, and I am very pleased with it.

For those who would say that needing Taurine means my diet is deficient, I would mention that Red Bull also contains 1000 mg of Taurine, and most people that dring Red Bull, eat lots of meat. Just saying.

The brain also contains lots of DHA, an omega-3 fat. We can make DHA from ALA, available in plants. But we all vary greatly in how well we convert ALA to DHA. I take 1 fish oil capsule daily.

Other deficiencies sometimes occur. Dr. Fuhrman has seen Zinc, Selenium, Iodine and others. That is why he makes his multivitamin, which also excludes harmful supplements. So, I take his multi.

I take vitamin D, Fuhrman's multi, fish oil and taurine. But at 67 years old, my blood pressure is 100/60, cholesterol is 150 to 160. Both of these were borderline when I was 60.

I believe Dr. Fuhrman has the best response to the individual patient's needs.

Oh, I was curious as to your choice to take walnut oil, to see the affect on triglycerides. I am thinking of the difference between walnuts and walnut oil.

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

engineerguy replied to engineerguy's response:
Hi jc,

Oh, I saw in the other thread that do do eat a green salad before each meal. Excellent.

Best of luck. I hope something I have mentioned might be helpful. Keep us posted at to what you learn. You are important.

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
What you have to say is always helpful.

Jeff N suggests that for those that pass the plate test elevated triglycerides may not be unhealthy.Thats not to diminish the probability that triglycerides are a factor if severly elevated or are elevated in those who don't pass the plate test.

Thriving....don't know...Most of my life I was used to being muscular and competing in athletics and with the new diet I am skinny and the muscle mass has evaporated,So thats the basis of comparison when I don't feel like I'm thriving....but I still compete in the senior olympics and play some pick up basketball....but nothing that requires any power or strength.I'm also older which may be part of the feeling that I'm not thriving like I used to.

But my blood pressure and blood glucose are much,much lower

max9821 replied to engineerguy's response:
oooohhh, the potato. Had two late in the evening last night because I was hungry. Fasting blood sugar this morning is 81. Yes, the post prandial might climb high but I did not test after eating the potatoes. Last triglyceride test a few weeks ago was 116. Total cholesterol 118, LDL 52, HDL 43. I eat McDougall with possibly more vegetables. I eat three or four fruits per day. No fats or nuts but do eat a couple of tbs of ground flaxseed per day, when I remember. If only I got smart before the darn DES was placed after the MI. I just do not trust the thing.

If Fuhrman did a real study I might sit up and take notice. Lots of "paleo" eaters get good results--initially--for many reasons. I do not think it is because eating meat and eliminating potatoes is one of them.

Dr. Esselstyn does not recommend nuts or avocados for heart patients. Can anyone who has been on the sad for most of his life not have some artery blockage?

Dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
I see you have come down on the McDougall/Essee side....that all fat(greater than 10%) even nuts are not healthy.Fuhrman disagrees and I'm not sure who is right about this.

I do know that Fuhrman is wrong about potatoes and Mcdougall is wrong about sodium so its clear that each is wrong about certain issues.

However given the mountains of research on sodium and potatoes Its likely both will reverse their positions in the future...given that they are both scientists.It will be interesting to see which one has the most integrity... to forget their pride and correct their position first....or do they stick with a position that has clearly been proven wrong for the sake of pride....it will be telling for me.

max9821 replied to jc3737's response:
I think McD's position is that it is better to sprinkle a little salt on food that you might not normally eat if the taste of salt will encourage you to eat a starch based diet. He does not recommend using salt in cooking although I do believe some of the recipes might use soy sauce, but of this I am not certain.

Salt is the one thing I am having difficulty with. I only use it rarely because I worry about not getting enough iodine although a couple of potatoes will give you almost 100% of the requirement but that might depend on where the potato was grown.

I do use a lot of tobasco or other hot sauce and of course they have sodium in them--just a much lesser quantity per teaspoon. A teaspoon of tobasco has 30 mg sodium and a teaspoon of salt about 2400. Another sauce I use has 130 mg sodium per teaspoon so about 4 teaspoons of this is the same as about 1/4 tsp salt.

dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
I take a 150mcg supplement of potassium iodide daily.Thats not enough to cause problems but enough to correct any defencies.

But I have heard people that take larger doses,measured in mg sometimes have problems....so stick to mcgs.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.