Skip to content
rice? starch?
jc3737 posted:
This suggest that starch is not nearly as healthy as vegetables.When a starch such as rice is subed by vegetables mortality drops.Does this suggest that Fuhrman is right about high nutrient foods as opposed to startches.

But I have to add potatoes are a very high nutrient food although sweet potatoes may be even a bit higher.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/1/53.abstract?etoc

max9821 responded:
Are they talking about white rice eating subjects?

Is this something new? Is it not true that IHD is practically unheard of in China---or was at one time?

They only replaced one serving of (white?) rice with one serving of vegetables. Not very much.

The study tells us nothing about the efficacy of a Fuhrman diet. No one did a study on a diet as high in vegetables, nuts and beans and compared it to a diet with more whole starches. I do not think anyone would waste money on a comparison of Fuhrman and McDougall diets. They are both plant based. However, doesn't Fuhrman allow fish?

There were a lot of people in the study. It is a possibility but unlikely that there was such a lack of vegetables that only one serving would result in longer life. Even McDougall says that you will not get all the nutrients you need unless you add colorful vegetables to the starch diet.

dolores

jc3737 replied to max9821's response:
May not be very much but enough to make a difference in the study.Why do you say it does not tell us anything about the Fuhrman diet....when high nutrient vegetables take the place of starches and mortality drops that tells us something about the Fuhrman diet....OK not a super high vegetable diet but the study did replace some rice with vegetables.

I'm not sure but I don't think Fuhrman allows fish.

Both plant based diets show success but it was the ultra low fat diet that Essee used in his famous trial to stop heart disease.That does not necessarliy make it the better diet just the better diet for heart disease.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.