Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
What is the most effective over-the-counter weight loss pill?
An_201916 posted:
I know I need to exercise and gain a healthy lifestyle, but what are the best weight loss pills to help support my weight loss?
Or is there any vitamins/mineral that will support weight loss?

An_201917 responded:
I tried Alli before I went on a structured program and it was working for me because I was consuming foods high in fat. It blocked some of the fat and you could see it in your BM's. Now that I have changed what I eat, I no longer take it but I have added a sublingual B12 and a multi-vitamin to keep my energy up since I reduced my daily caloric intake. Good luck

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
The only one proven to be effective (and really statistically not effective enough for me to think that it helps a whole lot more than committing to making the changes you need to make in your lifestyle) and mostly safe is Alli.

Here is more information on herbal diet aids.

I encourage you to take small steps toward a healthy lifestyle rather than a pill. No vitamin, pill, herb or supplement does it-if it did-everyone would be taking it

Instead take a look at the Think Small-Lose Big Challenge . Join one of our diet clubs for support. Use the tools available like the Diet Evaluator for help getting started.

jambajuice responded:
Darn infomercials...

simplywonderful18 responded:
Well, Alli was once sold as a prescription diet pill that was a lot stronger and had a different name. It blocked fat being absorbed into the body, but was potentially blocking other key nutrients from being absorbed. For some reason unclear to me it was taken off the market. The company then cut the dose in half and starting selling it over the counter. That bit of information alarmed me and I stopped taking it. So, I would do some serious research before you take anything that has these wild claims.

jmacl responded:
I don't use any weight loss pills or supplements, but I've lost 17 pounds in the last 25 days. I use the "400 Calorie Fix" book. I like the structure and the infinite variety of food.

An_201918 responded:
If there was a magic pill that really worked do you actually think we would have a problem with obesity? These companies that make weight loss supplements kill me. They start off with one formula and with in a year or so they make a new better formula.....wouldnt you think that if the first one really worked that they wouldnt need to make a second?No!! There is no supplement for good diet and exercise. Good luck on your journey. I am right there with you.

earthtoerica responded:
There is no magic pill. But depending on how over weight you are, you could talk to your doctor about Adipex. I lost 20 lbs without it, then 20 more with it (in about half the time), then another 10 without it. It suppresses your appetite and gives you a lot of energy for exercise. It of course won't do the work for you, but definitely helps motivate. I lost a pound a day for the first week and a half I was on it. You could easily gain the weight back after you're off it though if you don't adapt to a healthier lifestyle. I went from couch potato to runner, which is how I maintain my weight loss.

stacyloveslife responded:
There's a new program that has created some excitement in the South. It's called the HCG diet. HCG is the pregnancy hormone which causes your body to feed off your own fat for fuel and nutrition even if you aren't eating right for your baby. Men and women can both take the Releana drops. You take the drops twice daily and have a restricted diet of lean protein, vegetables and fruit. No fat, no sugar, no carbs, no butter, no oils. After seeing the success of many just melt fat away, I signed up. Today is my 13th day on the diet and I've lost 10 pounds of the 50 I need to lose. I weigh once a week at the clinic on a special scale so they can measure weight loss (making sure it's not muscle) and body hydration. This diet requires drinking 2 liters of water per day. My boss signed up and lost 15 pounds in her first two weeks. She had more to lose than me and is approx 70 lbs overweight. I even met a lady who lost 25lbs in two weeks. Amazingly, the fat melts off evenly across your body. I've noticed the difference in my waist, face, fingers, and the front of my thighs first. After you hit your goal weight, you go back onto a maintenance plan and slowly introduce carbs back into your diet in moderation. I'm thrilled with this diet, but I must admit it's the hardest thing I've ever done. I love chocolate and I'm a snacker. I snack when I'm bored, stressed, etc. If you have any questions about what you can eat or anything else, please feel free to email me at stacyloveslife@aol.com . I want everyone to feel as wonderful as I've felt the past two weeks. It's amazing how good and energized you can feel when you get the bad stuff out of your system! If you consider the HCG diet, please beware of all the bad stuff for sale on the internet. I would recommend a diet clinic that handles it so they can watch for muscle loss.

BigMac_350 responded:
I suggest you read the book Illegally Thin by Random Knight. This has worked for me.

bfitzsenry responded:
Starlight International sells nutritional herbs and dietary supplements through its consultants and over the internet. They are an integral company which has been around for over 15 years. They sell both a thermogenic herbal complex as well as a fat blocker supplement which works great to support any dietary plan you choose and is worth the effort to look into.

Jentar replied to stacyloveslife's response:
If you've been used to a high protein diet, the diet you describe sounds somewhat similar, with the addition of fruit. But the weight loss sounds almost too quick. How do you deal with cravings, and how do you prevent a loss of muscle? Also does this diet have restrictions on the amount and frequency of what you can eat; how many fruit does it allow? I'm wondering if you have a link or website to tell us where we can read the particulars, and if you know of a reliable place to purchase. Scales can be found that measure fat and muscle %.Thanks for the info.

2bokisgr8 replied to stacyloveslife's response:
Don't believe this is a new program; however, sounds like it has been changed. I was on this back in the mid-1980s. At that time it required an injection (in a doctor's office). The first place I lost weight was the bottom of my feet. Almost immediately it was hard for me to stand for long periods. I still have the books. I lost weight, but don't remember a maintenance program back then. It was at the beginning of the aids awareness/crisis, and when I learned that this was taken from pregnant women's urine and there was no screening of these women for aids, I stopped the program. I'm sure with the pill and better safeguards, this program has some merit. Is there a website to find clinics using this method?

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.