Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Diet Pill for People with Diabetes & Hypertension
An_201938 posted:
Loss Weight
What is the best Diet Pill for a Person who has Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension I've tried some and all I get is bad Headaches

Take the Poll

I have Diabetes Type 2 and Hypertension what is the best diet pill
  • Hypertension & Diabetes
  • Diet Pills
vote
View Poll Results

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
In my opinion, the best diet pill is no diet pill-but to instead change your lifestyle. The money that goes into diet pills is best spent on a trip to a dietitian, certified diabetes educator, healthy food, and/or a good pair of walking shoes.

With hypertension, many diet pills are going to be dangerous in addition to ineffective. Diabetes is nothing to sneeze at either when it comes to taking diet supplements available over the counter.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Anon. First, almost all of the "diet pills" over the counter contain amphetamine-like substances. The appetite suppression you may experience is short lived. I consider them useless at best and potentially harmful which is your case. No one who has high blood pressure should ever take any pill like this, as it adversely affects your BP causing it to rise. Of course you'll have a headache which is worrisome. Please do not do this again for your own sake. Also, you should never take anything without consulting your physician or medical team.

To shed those pounds, you need to do what I always say--- get up and move more (your blood sugars will correct nicely if you do this daily), while sticking to appropriate servings of whole foods, lean proteins and whole grains.

You can do this. Don't look externally for the answer. You are powerful and you hold the answer to your own success. Look inward, find the resolve and motivation to shed your excess body fat, and then get organized and go for it.

Good luck. Dr. Peeke

phototaker responded:
I'm a type 2 diabetic, too. The best way is NOT to use pills.
I have found just taking regular medication can cause so many new problems in your body.

Start by making a regular exercise program EVERY DAY. It could be as easy as walking for 30 minutes, swimming, walking on a treadmill, stationary bike, regular bike, walking the dog,
dancing, taking classes at a gym like Zumba, etc. Park your car far from where you are going, walk the malls, climb stairs instead of the elevator, and much more.

Make sure you eat three meals a day, if you're diabetic. You NEED to have the food in your body to stay healthy. Eat more vegetables, salads, low fat protein, fish, less fatty beef, chicken(white meat), eggs, nuts, lentils, etc.

Stay away from white products like, white bread, white pasta, white rice, and go for whole grain or whole wheat. Cut down on white potatoes.

Sometimes it helps to have a small snack like an apple and almonds between meals.

It can be done. I lost 38 lbs. using this way of eating and brought my A1C down to 5.8, without medicine. You can do it.
Don't take pills. You can't take those the rest of your life and you don't know what danger it's doing to your body. You can do this the rest of your life.

Helpful Tips

Fast and easy
I have always found that eating healthy and cutting back on sugary drinks has worked for me. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.