Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Swim Suit Scare
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hi everyone. I'm about to launch another WebMD specialty newsletter campaign helping people get into shape for Spring and Summer. The first thing I was asked to address is the whole swim suit issue. Buying a swim suit is the stereotypic nightmare for folks who're having issues with their bodies, especially overweight men and women. My patients tell me stories of spending these warm seasons hidden under large T shirts to hide their bodies. I hear this from folks who've dropped the weight but are still not comfortable strolling a beach or pool side in a swim suit.

What about you? Are you caught up in the Swim Suit Scare? Are you afraid to not only don the suit but wear white or shorts? What's your experience?

Share the Spring and Summer Scare--- Is it a scare?

Dr Peeke

nursingbug responded:
I have been overweight most of my life. I first remember feeling that I was larger than others when I was 9. Middle school and high school was hard, I felt a lot different, and very self consious. Now I am 30 and I don't care as much, swim suits do not bother me. I feel like I have a pretty good body image for someone my size. Losing 85 lbs has helped, but I still have another 50 lbs at least before I reach my goal. I figure that I fell in love, gave birth, survived 12 hour nursing shifts, among other things, with this body, and it has done well for me. If other people have a problem looking at it they can kiss my hind end, I don't care. I bought a really cute expensive swim suit this year and can't wait to take my 2 year old to the pool!

jambajuice replied to nursingbug's response:
"...If other people have a problem looking at it they can kiss my hind end, I don't care..."

Right on! Bring a rolled up newspaper with you, too!

feduptwice replied to jambajuice's response:
well I even though i lost about 70 lbs i am not going back to my g-string brazilian bikini just yet:))) I still have another 35 lbs to go-i am also a mother now and thanks to my kiddies i got a c-section scar and double Ds which are not getting any smaller even though i am losing weight-go figure. So for me this season-a lovely swim dress with hidden panel that suppose to squish my belly. I alredy got it-looks ok and that is what I will be wearning. Even if i lose another 35 lbs I will still go modest for all my reasons listed above:)

pallzy replied to feduptwice's response:
There will be no swimsuit in my future. Or my past. The last time I even owned a swimsuit was for my daughters swimming lessons at the Y. I had to be in the pool with her. But, even though the size of my body is much better after losing 110 pounds (big yay!!!), the sagging skin is very unattractive and I would never be comfortable showing that in public. I have no problem wearing white though. Shorts and tank tops will be my summer wardrobe.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to nursingbug's response:
Hey there. It's great to read postings from folks with this kind of "This is who I am and if you have a problem with it then please exit" attitude. Removing 85 lbs is an awesome feat so congrats. Yes indeed you're still a work in progress (50 more) but who isn't? You see that you have accomplished so much in your life (self esteem is not completely tied up in body) with your family and professional work.But you said something interesting here. You acknowledge this is a journey and that you want to enjoy as much of is as possible as you skip down your life's path. This is opposed to always waiting until you reach some mythical "there" as in "I'm finally there". Instead, you're just enjoying the ride and throwin' people out of the car if they don't want to enjoy it as well.

That's your take and it's a very valid one. Read the other postings and I'm curious to see what your reaction to their journeys is.

Dr Peeke

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Swimsuits aren't a problem for me. Dress pants-ugh-while shopping I eyed the swimsuits and thought "I wonder if I can skip the whole dress pants thing and wear a swimsuit."

Oddly, I thought I looked horrid in a swimsuit in my teens-now I look at those pictures and wonder what on earth I was thinking.

Now my only swimsuit issue is whether it was made for actual swimming. (some do not seem to be constructed with that aim)

nursingbug replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
thanks Dr. Peeke! I can totally see where others are coming from when they talk about not being confident in how they look. My work is in disease management, I talk with people on the phone about chronic health problems and managing them, and weight loss comes up a lot. When I first started this job I was suprised at the emotions people had about their weight. I think I feel differently about my body because it has been who I am nearly my whole life. In a previous blog you said that it can take several months-years to adapt to losing a lot of weight. Well I would say it can work the other way! I had 20 YEARS to get used to being overweight, where people who have gained weight when they are older, like after kids, or menopause may gain that weight rather quickly, unexpectedly, and I have had some people say that they never in a million years thought they would have a weight problem, so it is a really hard thing to deal with. Anyway I know that isn't everyone's story, but it is something I have thought about.

nursingbug replied to feduptwice's response:
I should say that my suit is modest, I will never wear a tank top, it is a mircle suit that covers a lot!

feduptwice replied to nursingbug's response:
Oh so i gues it is like my shape-fix from new port news? :)yes it does cover a lot,thank God:)

baybeelooweegee responded:
Right now I'd say I'm probably in the best shape I've been in in a while so the swim suit problem isn't really phasing me right now but I'm almost positive the minute I out on my bikini I'm going to feel as self conscious as anyone because I'm not used to wearing it. I was the kind of person who wore tankinis to say it was a two piece without revealing skin so this year will need some adjusting.

An_201976 responded:
I gained about 30 lbs battling fibroid tumors and finally had surgery last year. Being over 40 is no joke when it comes to losing weight. Knowing that this would be difficult I started a work out plan and eating right in January, to give myself time to lose the desired weight by Memorial Day.

Give yourself time to lose the weight and take your goals seriously. I am now in a bikini for the first time in two years.

buffiejoe responded:
Swimsuit? I bought a really cute suit last summer. It's a two piece, but not a skimpy little thong and pasties type, I most definitely wouldn't feel comfortable in anything that my boobs might fall out of or my butt crack was on display. My two piece fits well and covers the areas that I am self conscious about (my inner thighs and spare skin left over from babies, for instance) It is possible to dress tastefully and sexy at the same time. I am 195 pounds right now, and I don't feel horrible about wearing a two piece, stretch marks and flabby belly and all. No one has enough balls to walk up to someone and say "Hey, you look horrible in that suit because your too fat to wear it" So what if some people I don't even know have something to say about my body. If they are talking about me behind my back they are in the perfect position to kiss my ass. The only people that matter to me love me no matter how fat or thin I am and the only reason they are concerned about my weight is because they are concerned about my health, not what I look like. My husband still finds me irresistible, even though I am 35 pounds heavier than when we met 5 years ago. Even at 50 pounds heavier than when we met, my weight has never had any baring on our relationship.
Honestly, though, I think that not caring anymore about what people may or may not have to say about my body has come with age. When was only 130, 140, or 150 pounds I NEVER swam without a T-shirt over my swimsuit. I was very self-conscious and didn't want anyone to see any skin and a two piece was something I never even considered (maybe that had something to do with everyone at a beach on Lake Michigan getting an eyeful of my new boobies when came out of the water at around 14, and I don't recommend tubing behind a boat in a two piece either. Especially if your with your family. I still hear every once in a while "Hey, remember that one time....." I think it was the same suit as the Lake Michigan incident).
Anyways, the point is that swimming in a T-shirt sucks. I am way more comfortable with myself than I was when I was a teenager or even in my early 20's. I refuse to let what other people might have to say influence my decisions on what I wear and don't wear.

JenNS12 responded:
What a time to be discussing this as I'm going to the beach soon. I've been freaking out about whether to wear a swim suit or not. It would have to be something that would not be at all revealing if I do decide to wear one. I've lost 55 lbs since June of last year putting me at 157 currently. Finally was able to wear shorts a couple times recently for the first time in about 10 years. I'm totally self concious and feel like everyone is starting at me when I wear them though. Gosh I can't even remember the last time I wore a swim suit around anyone. I wish I could be one of those people that is confident and doesn't care what other people think about their appearance.

An_201977 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Swimsuits are for exercising and just getting into a pool to have fun. Bathing suits are for walking around, on the beach or at the pool side. The difference is how to manage your focus. If I have a cheap one piece swimsuit, I stuff any other feelings to get to the exercise, and who cares what I look like in the swimsuit? I am going to have fun working out in the water of a chemically treated pool. The bathing suit is a fashionable statement though, usually cost more and focus is on style, color, fit and well, just how it makes you feel in the mirror. The more I wear a swimsuit to workout, the better I feel about those times when a bathing suit would be better to make me feel good about myself. One drives the other. Weird but it works each spring, when it times to think about summer events.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.