Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
The Secret to Lifelong Weight Maintenance
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
One key element of lifelong weight management is vigilance.Are you vigilant about your overeating triggers? Be on red alert for those situations when you know you'll be more vulnerable to self-destructive habits. Read Dr. Peeke's latest blog post , then come back here to share your comments.

Jis4Judy responded:
the link takes us to marshmello arms not maintainance

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Odd-it is working for me

http://blogs.webmd.com/pamela-peeke-md/2010/06/the-secret-to-lifelong-weight-maintenance.html
~Louise Senior Community Moderator

Jis4Judy replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Louise it is working now but this morning it was taking me to the marshmellow arms blog ... maybe this thread was up a minute or so before the newest blog got posted..or something ..
Hugs Judy:)

Jis4Judy responded:
this maintainance thing is like walking a tight rope.

I am flucuating wildly up a couple of pounds then back down a couple being totally aware is a big job ..

I am not sure I am doing it right but I have;nt really tried before either,, so I am feeling my way along this path..
so far so good
Hugs Judy:)

fedupagain replied to Jis4Judy's response:
i am just hoping that once i get"there" I will be able to stop counting calories and with just watching my food and doing my elliptical 4 times a week will be enough for me to stay "there"

FrancesKuffel responded:
I'm not "there" yet but because I have a consistent food plan, even when I cross that line my food will change very little. I'm going through a lot of stress now and I find that I have to remind myself frequently through the day that, just today, if I don't eat off my food plan or cause bodily harm, I can't really fail. This might not be true every day but right now it is and when circumstances change so that I might be fired or rejected, I will probably find that the area of failure isn't really all that big. I'm the one who brings stress into my life and it's my kindness to myself to try to minimize the impact of people, places and things that make me see monsters under the bed. Prayer helps simply because it puts my foibles into words that remind me what I need to do -- not overeat, not be stubborn about taking action. Gratitude is very helpful because it reminds me of how lucky and how safe and taken care of I really am. And forums like this, where I can speak my truth, are essential. Thanks everyone for being here.

Tomato05 responded:
I first have to lose the weight before I'll start worrying about maintaining it.

However, I trust and I am fairly certain that once I have the body/weight I want, I will want to do nothing to ruin it, after having gone through this arduous and long journey of weight loss.

One thing I will do then, is weigh every day. At the moment I hate seeing the dreaded number on the scale so I weigh only once a week (reluctantly). But when I see the "desired" number, I will actually want to weigh more often. That will help to keep me alert and vigilant to even a pound of weight gain, so that I can take quick action (i.e. cutting calories for a few days).

fedupagain replied to Tomato05's response:
Tomato I like that - i will remember that when i get to mine"there"

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Hey there Judy. Great to hear from you. I wouldn't call going up and down a couple of pound "fluctuating wildly". Up and down 10 or 20, yep! A person of average size normally fluctuates up and down a pound or so on a daily basis. That's normal physiology. Many things could account, including complex carb intake and salt.

You're so right. Maintenance is like walking that tightrope--- you feel like any moment you might fall off. It takes years of practice to feel more confident. And you cannot drop that being "totally aware" or vigilance. Once you do, you go mindless and that's what got you into trouble in the first place.

Judy, stay patient and persistent. Dr. Peeke

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to fedupagain's response:
Hi FedUp and good to hear from you. The issue of "there" is quite intriguing. With practice and persistence, you'll eventually reach a mental and physical place that works for you. Then, you'll find the maintenance equation that works for you. It's the one that allows for the most effective vigilance geared to you and your needs. Some people never stop journaling as it really works to keep them on track. Others no longer have to keep cal count, but just journal. The there will also be affected by age as well as any medical conditions or disabilities you may encounter along the way. Get prepared for many regroupings. Keep tweaking the system. This is a dynamic process.
Good luck, Dr. Peeke

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to FrancesKuffel's response:
Hey Frances, so good to see you on the exchange. Wow, you are so right all around. Hey everyone, make sure to read Frances Kuffel's books Passing for Thin (you'll see my quote on the back cover) and Angry Fat Girls. Frances is one of the most talented writers I have ever read, so get these and read'em.
What you say about taking this one day at a time is spot on. So many of you out there are stressing about tomorrow or 3 months from now. Instead, every single day you can eat clean and get that physical activity in is a triumph of the highest magnitude. This is how you methodically lay down a strong foundaiton for your mental and physical transformation.
Gratitude is precious and is superb to help neutralize any carb cravings and toxic stress you may be experiencing. Write donw a laundry list of your gratitudes. Go back to them as you feel stress hitting you square in the head. They help you regain a new and grateful perspective.

Thanks again Frances, Dr. Peeke

Snowbow responded:
Ironically, I discovered that one stressor is to weigh myself! I tend to get to hung up on "the numbers." The best way for me to maintain my weight is to simply go by how my clothes fit. If they start getting snug, it's time to cut back and / or make a small change. It's easier to lose 2 or 3 pounds than to have to start over and lose 30! I've been there. Vigilance is definitely the best way to go once you lose the weight.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Snowbow's response:
Snow-many people are like that-I often tell people who are slaves to the scale to not weigh more than once a week if that often. It seems to help.
~Louise Senior Community Moderator

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

more effective weight loss pointers
primary all time tip is to devour wholesome and watch what you are eating, however now not vital how so much of food you consume. you may ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.