Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
HCG Diet
An_202048 posted:
What have you heard about the HCG Diet? Anyone have success? What about someone who had gastric bypass surgery? I have lost over 100# and then no weight loss for several months. I am thinking about trying the HCG Diet.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks for your posting. In a word--- no. Please do not waste your time on this kind of fad diet. There is no magic. There is no overnight success or jump start to any of these kinds of fads. There is hype and you'll be short a lot of cash.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but minimize or elinminate refined sugars and processed foods. Stick with whole foods in appropriate portions. Get up and move more. And, watch the real magic take place.

Good luck, Dr. Peeke

KennyCrox replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Pam,

My initial reaction was somewhat like yours. However, there are plenty of people who have successfully lost weight on this program. So, it may not be all hype.

Also, when you examine how hCG is utilized by the body for weight loss, it makes some sense.

hCG has been used for decades by bodybuilders fpr decades for a different purpose.

Kenny Croxdale

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to KennyCrox's response:
Thanks for your response Kenny. I am very aware of its use by body builders, as it is used to counteract the effects of testosterone injections and anabolic steroids on innate testosterone production. Most body builders will use many products to maintain what is considered to be an optimal body composition and HCG is used for that.

HCG has not been supported by any peer reviewed literature and credible science as a resource for weight reduction for the public.

Excellent nutritional habits and increased physical activity are still the mainstay. Turning oneself into a science fair project isn't.

Dr Peeke

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to KennyCrox's response:
I suspect success is related to the program-not to the supplement. We have a number of articles on HCG here and none of them support the use of it as a weight loss aid.
~Louise Senior Community Moderator

johnmarten64 responded:

Yes, it WORKS. Go for homeopathic HCG drops. These are safer and effective. Look for a brand which offers HCG drops premixed with vitamin B12 and Mag Phos cell salt. They work better....Decide how much weight you want to lose and then select your plan....You can read my previous postings to know better about the diet...

jenjenp73 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
It appears to me that most doctors as well as the "diet and exercise" crowd don't take into account the reality that most people who try to lose weight in a healthy manner soon lose motivation and gain their weight back. It does no good to keep telling people to eat healthy and exercise if they don't really do it. I wonder how many people have obesity related disease or have even died from being overweight after taking this "safe" advise from professionals?

I have been on the hcg diet drops from Pro Hcg Diet and lost 27 pounds in 38 days. The reason the diet was successful for me was because the weight came off so fast that my motivation stayed high. During the diet I stated to notice several positive side effects including more energy, better sleep, and a tendency to choose healthier foods and portions. You really do learn a lot about your body and food when you are limited to 500 calories per day. It has been 4 months now and I have not gained any weight back. Sorry for the long post, but I just don't see the wisdom in telling people to eat less and exercise more if they are not going to do it. Maybe we should focus more on the motivational characteristics of diet more than the healthiest way to diet. After all, if a dieter never succeeds, he or she will still have to deal with the health consequences of their failure.

laura2gemini2 replied to jenjenp73's response:
I dont mean to burst your bubble, but your weight loss cant keep up at that rate, you will stop losing weight and heaven forbid gain some of your weight back, and you will lose your motivation. If you rely just on medication for weight loss you will fail. Its been proven.

Now, those who take the healty approach and maybe have some help in keeping the motivatio up, like a support group or therapy or even a work out buddy, have a higher rate of success. Most overweight and obese individuals have a trigger that causes them to eat more, and also most have depression or a bad body image which also causes them to eat more. It takes more than medication to help that.

Besides, it isnt supposed to be a "diet", its supposed to be a healthy lifestyle. Diets fail, healthy lifestyles dont.

3point14 replied to jenjenp73's response:
It's not the medical professionals fault that obese people die from being obese. It's not quote-unquote "safe" advice, it's the only sound advice regarding weight loss.

It is the responsibility of the patient to continue treatment. If the diagnosis of a doctor is "You are too heavy, you need to lose weight, this is how to do it" and the patient does not do those things, they are to blame.

A doctor can only help someone as much as they are willing to be helped. It is not the job of a doctor to motivate a person, it is the job of a person to move towards a lifestyle that will put their body in a healthy state. With the help of a nutritionist, a therapist, a supportive friend/family/lover, online community, gym, or simply doing more research on a healthy lifestyle, it is easy to stay motivated and keep health as a priority. Even if one doesn't have access to all of these, everyone has access to some, and it is their responsibility to utilize what they have access to.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks for your posting. Please take a moment and read my blog about the HCG "diet":
http://blogs.webmd.com/pamela-peeke-md/2010/12/diet-scam-101-the-hcg-con.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A EverydayFitness %28Everyday Fitness with Dr. Pam Peeke%29

I believe you'll find the answers to your questions in the blog.

Dr Peeke

An_202049 replied to jenjenp73's response:
I happen to agree with your point - after becoming overweight from a medical issue a few years ago where I was unable to be active and on prednisone for a long time, I gained a ton of weight and have not been able to shed it at all. I've tried a ton of diet plans and increased my exercising - but at 200 lbs it is very defeating to not be able to be as active as I'd like, and to not see results.
I'm told time and time again that my weight is not healthy, and that it causes health issues, but I have been caught in the cycle of failure and defeat with diets. Is the 'fad' part of this diet aid more unhealthy than the extra 70 pounds I'm carrying around?
What is wrong with getting a jumpstart on getting back to a manageable weight? A jumpstart to a healthy weight where I can then use diet and exercise to maintain? I haven't started using this yet, but I'm inclined to give it a try.

FitnessAfter40 replied to An_202049's response:
I agree with your viewpoint. I've had troubles with my weight since I was a kid, and have had doctors tell me to lose weight all my life. I was 100 lbs overweight, considered morbidly obese, and at that weight we are looking at several health risks. Yet, insurance would not pay for any sort of weight loss surgery or diet prescriptions.

How does this make sense? Wouldn't it be smarter to pay for the removal of the weight that's causing the risk rather than paying for all the health problems that will kick in if I did NOT lose the 100 pounds?

HCG helped me lose about 45 pounds in less than 3 months. Others I know lost even more, but it's a hard diet to follow and I ended going off of it before I lost as much as I wanted. It works. I haven't gained any of it back and have continued to lose a tiny bit (compared to the fast loss from the HCG) each month from continuing my healthy eating and walking program.

I am about to do another round once I get that determination set again. Trust me...you have to be totally committed to this diet if you are going to do it. Otherwise, don't waste your money. Which by the way is not that much. I got the sublingual drops for around $25 a bottle that lasts about one month.

Good luck to you! It's exciting that there's something out there that really does work & works FAST!!

BVWELLNESS replied to FitnessAfter40's response:
I've been on the HCG diet (I hate that word) to reprogram my hypothalamus, which is the key to resetting your metabolism. It is a seriously challenging eating plan, even for someone who eats healthy. I lost 17lbs in 30 days and have not gained it back, although it's only been 2 months since I completed the program.

The bottom line - if you don't change the way you relate to food and manage what and how much you eat, you will regain the weight. No matter what diet plan you choose, it's about making sustainable change.

I worked with a naturopathic doctor after getting blood work done and having a saliva test to check for adrenal fatigue, which I had due to long term stress.

Know your numbers and work with a healthcare professional. HCG is a hormone and should not be taken lightly. It have a profound affect on your body.

In health and wellness,
Sharon Wegner
Bella-VitaWellness

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
201 of 246 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.