Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

just want to lose about 15 lbs....
debcor67 posted:
my problem is i don't know where to start.....do i pick a day?. then i have no idea what to eat what no to eat, at this time i am at 152 lbs, i go up and down to 155lbs. and thats it, i don't move. i do eat breakfast, then i eat a lunch (sometimes) the other times i snack on almonds, fruit, peanuts stuff like that, and i have no motivation when i get off work to exercise. i'm literally pooped.....what can i do to get on the ball. i'm miserable, my husbands miserable, anyone know how i can start such a thing?

Vickkimotherof2 responded:
Congradulations, you completed your first step already. You came on WebMD for advise. Use the Diet Evaluator to find out what your daily calories should be. Start journaling your food to count your calories. Do not forget to write everything you put in your mouth. Everything you eat or may drink (except water) has calories. Make sure you drink 8 glasses a day of water. Try five small meals. Ex. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. No late night eating. Some set a time not to eat after. Measure your portions. All nutrition labels have your portion information plus other major items like fat, carb, sodium, etc. Take a multi vitamin. Eat your fruit and veggies. They are low calorie foods, great for a snack, and if you have at least one at each mini meal you will get the 5 serving you need.

One of the most important is exercise. Just get up and take a walk with your husband. I find when I go running I have this energy to get me through the rest of the night. I go running some time between 7:30pm-9:00pm because of my work schedule and my 2 children.

Hope to see you post your progress and get suggestions from other posts or ask.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
How tall are you?

Make small changes each week. Make the goal the first week to walk three nights each week for 10 minutes, to drink more water, to make a list of reasons you want to lose weight for yourself.

Then add something the next week-park further away from work for example. Read this series: Think Small-Lose Big for a plan.

Why are you and your husband miserable? 15 lbs shouldn't make for misery--what else is going on in your life?
~Louise Senior Community Moderator

debcor67 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Louise,
i'm 5'4 tall. and we're miserable because my weight gain has a negative affect from me. poor body image. don't feel very good in my skin. and i was just diagnosed with fibroids. so that added on to the miserableness. so i have to do surgery, in august, and then i want to lose weight and inches, as well to eat better to control the growth of the fibroids. but i'm trying to start now. i will be moving my exercise machine in the house soon. just trying to find a place to put it. as you can see it's moving verrrrry slow to get started. maybe reading and talking with others will help. thanks for the responses...

indypt replied to debcor67's response:
"Exercise Machine" sounds kind of ominous! What kind or exercise machine are you using? Louise and Vickkimotherof2 have offered great suggestions. One additional thing I would mention is monitoring. Use an online tool to track your meals, exercise and weight. This is especially important if you're trying to kick off a new plan. It will raise your awareness to a whole new level and keep you motivated because you will can visualize progress.

In my personal training practice, most of my clients are women between the ages of 35 and 60. (I'm 48). Speaking from personal and professional experience, too many people simply do not move enough. For weight loss, you need to target about an hour day. Walking or biking at a moderate pace work just fine. You don't need to do an hour all at once. You can do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. Walking/biking with a friend or hubby really helps too!

I'm also experimenting with pedometers. I have two clients that started 10,000 step plans on July 1st. The results so far have been outstanding! One client is an office worker and the other is a housewife. To get to 10,000 steps a day, both are "intentionally" walking 30 - 60 minutes a day an both have lost more than 2 lbs a week for 3 weeks in a row. Great results so far.

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. I think it's great that you are already thinking ahead about your weight loss and fitness program.

Eat Smart Move Monitor = Success

jambajuice replied to indypt's response:
indypt,

Excellent post!

Also, no need to experiment further...Pedometers are fantastic devices! Pedometers quantify activity.

When it comes to fat loss, the calorie you burn at 70 BPM is no different than the calorie burned at 150 BPM.

People who are active, lose, and those that aren't, don't.

debcor67 replied to jambajuice's response:
do you have a website for the online tool to track your meals, exercise and weight? that sounds like a good idea. and where can i buy the pedometer? i'm starting to really feel like i can do this.....but when i actually start is when it counts.....right...

debcor67 replied to indypt's response:
i can't remember what it's called. it's that one that makes you look like your skiing. my mom gave it to me. so i want to put it to use. maybe for the winter weather would be more useful?

indypt replied to debcor67's response:
One quick point on pedometers... spending a few extra dollars on a good quality device is worth it. We have tried at least 10 model and most of them where cheapies. The one that is working the best is the Omron GoSmart . It works great and is very durable. They are also sold under the LifeFitness brand. We bought ours at CVS, but they are available in a lot of outlets including the internet. Do a yahoo search on "Omron GoSmart".

As far as calorie tracking, I use MyGraphite.com . It's the only site I am aware of that lets you easily manage calorie intake (meal tracking) and expenditure (exercise tracking). WebMD has some excellent tools too, but I'm not sure about if they track meals. The WebMD Fitness Planner tool is excellent.

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.